Student Developer discount & Cram and Jam ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ZeroXcape, Aug 9, 2004.

1. ZeroXcape macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm looking to purchase my first Apple computer (already have an iPod and love it...)

I'm definetely going to sign up for the developer discount to get the 20%, but I was wondering if I could also still get the rebate for the current Cram and Jam promotion. I've read the rebate form and it doesn't say that it cannot be used with other discounts except for certain bundle discounts.

Has anyone tried this sucessfully?

I contacted Apple's 800 number and they had no clue... Currently, I'm waiting to hear back from the developer site themselves.

I figure if I can get the additional $200 back, the total price for the system I want would be around 28% off.

$2798 (nicer 15" powerbook + 20gb ipod)
    - 20% (2238.40) developer discount
    - $200 (2038.40) rebate
    + $99 (2137.40) cost of developer membership

Total price: $2137.40
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    cram and jam is an apple education store promotion. so i don't think it's possible to combine it with student developer.

the mail-in coupon specifies that you must purchase from (physical) apple store (presumably using edu. discount), apple education store online or authorized campus resellers.

in your case, it's $2337 via developer but no cram and jam.

or $2299 + $269 - $200 = $2368 for education with cram and jam.

(all before taxes, i imagine)

not much difference...
  3. joshua_msu macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2004
    chicago (formerly detroit)
    I am interested to hear about the developer discount. I searched Apple.Com for it, and all I got was some brief info. Does anyone know what the requirements are as opposed to the education discount? thanks.
  4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    The Developer program is for those who would like to write programs for OSX etc. The student membership fee is $99 per year. Apple gives a one-time hardware discount for paying members; there is no flat 20% discount, it varies - the education prices are occasionally better.