Student Developers getting Tiger?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SilentPanda, Apr 15, 2005.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I e-mailed Apple on Mon or Tues regarding if Student Developers were getting Tiger or not since I couldn't find anything on their web page. I called them yesterday and they said they didn't know and they would get back to me. Today I called them again and they still don't seem to know for sure.

Anyhow just thought I'd let you all know it's apparently currently "up in the air". I'll post again when I hear more. I just didn't want to be crying on Apr 29th when no Tiger came to my door...

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

only the PAYING ADC members get Tiger, students do not. so that would be ADC Select and ADC Premium or something like that. Don't count on it coming to your door.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Student developers are paying adc members. They just get a huge discount and not many of the perks. I have no idea if they are getting Tiger or not though.

4. therevolution macrumors 6502

Why not? Student developers got a free copy of Panther, so hopefully we'll get Tiger for free too.

5. Logik macrumors 6502a

My bad i knew that. I'm still saying no..

:-/

6. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The guy I talked to on the phone indeed did mention that Student Developers *did* get Panther for free. He said it is likely that Student Developers will get Tiger for free also but he didn't know for sure so will be getting back to me. If I don't hear by the 25th or so I guess I'll just order it...

It is odd though that nobody seems to know for sure... you'd think that sorta thing would easily be a "Yes/No" answer from somebody... :confused:

7. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Of minor note... that link goes to "buypanther.html" (which redirects to purchase Tiger... :confused: ). This may have been added after Panther was released... although... after I signed up to be a student Dev (post Panther) I received two copies of OS X Panther. One was the normal 10.3 Panther and another was the 10.3.5 version of Panther.

8. therevolution macrumors 6502

I believe student developers also got Jaguar for free, though I wasn't a member at the time.

9. iLaw macrumors newbie

I was looking around the Student Developer website because I was sure I had seen something about a free copy for members but all I saw is a link to buy Tiger from the Apple Store.

10. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yeah. I'm *really* sure when I signed up it said that I would get OS upgrades for free but I don't see it anywhere now. I know before it was very clear that we were. That was one of the things that convinced me to sign up for it.

Edit: Hmmm... after consulting the wayback machine (http://www.archive.org) I can't really see anywhere where it says you will get free OS upgrades... soooo... maybe I was really sleepy... :confused:

I don't really care either way... I just want to know if I should order it or not! :)

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got Panther 10.3.0 and 10.3.5 from them, but I seem to recall that there was a delay of a month or two. Of course, Tiger could be different.

12. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

That's what they told me via e-mail... which doesn't really help... grrrrr.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Thats the Type of answer you expect from BestBuy or CompUSA. I'm really disappointed in Apple. I'll live if they don't give Student Devs Tiger, but I'd really like them to at least tell us to we can order or not. Lucky more me, my job already ordered me a copy.

14. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I also got 10.3.0 and 10.3.5 for free for being a Student Developer (well, my wife did). I have called and e-mailed but have received the same answer.......they do not know. If anyone gets a definitive answer from Apple, post it here so we can all know.

15. stromie952 macrumors regular

I got the Jaguar and Panther updates for free with the Student Developer account. They did show up but they won't show up the day it is released. It usually came a few weeks afterwards. Since you are getting it for free, still not much to complain about.

-Stromie

16. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

This seems like a dumb question but how do I know if I am entitled to get a free copy of Tiger?? I signed up for a free student devolper account and entered all the info a long time ago (last summer, I think). I am able to log into the ADC member site and get downloads and purchase tickets for WWDC. Wish I had the money to buy one of those!

I seem to remember there used to be a link to pay for a student devolper account and this would entitle you to the OS upgrades but I cannot seem to find the info.

I can see myself calling Apple. "Hi, yes I signed up for your free student ADC account. When should I be expecting my free copy of Tiger??"

17. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Does your adc access include system software? I would be asking that question now not if you going to get tiger because that would answer weather or not you getting tiger.

grapes i don't understand why you are disappointed? all they did was state a uniform policy that will apply to everyone. that was probably just a pre-written email that they sent to everyone who has that question about weather or not they are getting tiger. do you expect their techs to baby everyone? all he/she has to do is check to see if his membership gets system software.

18. TheWama macrumors newbie

If there is free Tiger for student developers, it will be going to those who have a paid membership. It's $100 and you have to prove your student status. I recently joined to apply for a scholarship to WWDC, and I recieved Panther in my April membership mailing, in which they send documentation and code and such. Perhaps useful if you're an EE or CS major with an interest in coding for the Mac, which describes me.

Bottom line is, all the free membership gets you is the ADC e-mailing, I believe, certainly not a free OS.

19. goodwill macrumors regular

yes and the wonderful hardware purchase program discount.

20. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I got two copies of Panther with my student membership. I got 10.3.3 immediatly after signing up and then 10.3.6 later when it came out.

21. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Okay!

I just got off the phone with the ADC people and asked "Do student developers receive Tiger for free?" I was told that we do. Of course this is only for the $99/year paying members. Your membership must be good *through* April 29th. It sounded like it would ship on the 29th and should arrive 3-10 business days after. There is no action that you as a student developer needs to take.

Sooo...

That's what I've been told however if this is incorrect... don't shoot the messenger ya know? I'm ENDANGERED as it is! :p

22. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

My brother in law had a student ADC membership around the time Panther was being released. He got his copy of Panther about 5 months after it was officially released. I bought my $10 upgrade for Tiger because I don't want to wait 5 months for ADC copy.

23. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well I'm "borrowing" Tiger from a friend until my ADC one comes. If it doesn't come I'll just order one. I feel sorta bad about it but I certainly am not going to pay for one if one is on it's way... but I also want to be at the "virtual install party"... :) It's not a money issue or anything... I *could* buy it but no sense in buying something that I'm pretty sure is coming for free...

24. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Do you think I can join and get tiger in time for free? I am a CS student (though may not be going during the summer, do I still qualify?), and would love to start developing for the mac. (other than vim and C)

25. therevolution macrumors 6502

You should get Tiger regardless of when you sign up. My understanding is that when you are first signed up in the program, they automatically ship you the current Mac OS version along with your first mailing. So theoretically, if they processed your membership today, you'd get the current version of Panther and you'd also get Tiger when it ships. If they process it after Tiger ships, you'll just get Tiger.