Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techster85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX
Does anyone have any guesses on how much the student versions of CS3 will be? and will the same packages be available?

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Does anyone have any guesses on how much the student versions of CS3 will be? and will the same packages be available?

Judging by CS2 pricing/availability, you should be able to get the packages (who knows whether this will include the "master" set). It should be a LOT cheaper. I think student pricing where I am for CS2 is $300.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
My G/F is a student. She purchased the student version of CS2 (i can't remember how much she paid, but it was cheap)

The great thing is, now that CS3 is coming out, she can upgrade to the full version (non student) for only the price of the upgrade.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
You can bet there will still be great deals on the education versions of CS3. No way Adobe will force students to pay retail prices, their software is too important for students in all areas such as graphic design etc ...

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
You can bet there will still be great deals on the education versions of CS3. No way Adobe will force students to pay retail prices, their software is too important for students in all areas such as graphic design etc ...

not to mention the schools & colleges that purchase volume licenses.

AaronICT

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
My G/F is a student. She purchased the student version of CS2 (i can't remember how much she paid, but it was cheap)

The great thing is, now that CS3 is coming out, she can upgrade to the full version (non student) for only the price of the upgrade.

I'm pretty sure the license accompanying the educational version does not allow that. She should be able to upgrade to CS3 educational, but not to the full non-educational version.

Not that there's any difference in functionality.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Crippled?

So, the real question is, is the Educational version crippled at all? Is it any different from the regular retail version apart from a "For Educational Use Only" disclaimer or similar on the splash screens?

I'm back in school now, so I'm curious what differences there are, if any.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

It's still ridiculously expensive. I'm a film major but probably minoring in photography or something, plus I do web design for my portfolio and stuff, so most likely I would need the master collection. And its $1000. No way a college student can afford that.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
So, the real question is, is the Educational version crippled at all? Is it any different from the regular retail version apart from a "For Educational Use Only" disclaimer or similar on the splash screens?

I'm back in school now, so I'm curious what differences there are, if any.

I've never noticed any differences. I use CS2 on a daily basis.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
It's still ridiculously expensive. I'm a film major but probably minoring in photography or something, plus I do web design for my portfolio and stuff, so most likely I would need the master collection. And its $1000. No way a college student can afford that.

The master is only €499 here in Europe.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
I'm pretty sure the license accompanying the educational version does not allow that. She should be able to upgrade to CS3 educational, but not to the full non-educational version.

Not that there's any difference in functionality.

i specifically remember reading that my G/F could upgrade to a full version from her student version by purchasing an upgrade.

please don't speculate and spread misinformation.

from the website:

"Q. Can students order Upgrade Plan for their licenses?
A. No. Student licenses are treated like retail (shrinkwrap) licenses, which do not offer Upgrade Plan. Students may purchase commerical upgrades for their licenses when new versions of products are released."

this suggests that there is NO option to upgrade from one student version to another student version but rather from a student version to a full retail version.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
There Is Nothing Expensive About Adobe Master Collection For $999

Way. I can. And I think $999 is a bargain for the Master Collection (MC). How can you say it's expensive when the commercial version is $2,499 or $1,399 as an upgrade? You get 12 major applications plus 6 Special Features & Technologies for about $83/application. You want them FREE?

Adobe InDesign CS3
Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Adobe Illustrator CS3
Adobe Acrobat® 8 Professional
Adobe Flash CS3 Professional
Adobe Dreamweaver CS3
Adobe Fireworks CS3
Adobe Contribute® CS3
Adobe After Effects CS3 Professional
Adobe Premiere Pro CS3
Adobe Soundbooth CS3
Adobe Encore CS3

For $999. Come on. It's an amazing deal at an incredible price.

Plus you get:
Adobe Bridge CS3
Adobe Version Cue® CS3
Adobe Device Central CS3
Adobe Stock Photos
Adobe Acrobat Connect™
Adobe Dynamic Link CS3

So I can't imagine how you are thinking it's too expensive.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Multi is right about this. I am going to get the Production Suite Premium for about half that, and that is also a tremendous deal.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
$999 Academic Master Collection Is Cheaper Than Almost Any Other Combination Of Parts

i specifically remember reading that my G/F could upgrade to a full version from her student version by purchasing an upgrade.

please don't speculate and spread misinformation.

from the website:

"Q. Can students order Upgrade Plan for their licenses?
A. No. Student licenses are treated like retail (shrinkwrap) licenses, which do not offer Upgrade Plan. Students may purchase commerical upgrades for their licenses when new versions of products are released."

this suggests that there is NO option to upgrade from one student version to another student version but rather from a student version to a full retail version.
Ironically the license lets you use the academic version for commercial purposes and the $999 academic price of MC is less than almost any combination of its subset parts. So even if you don't need everything in MC, it's cheaper to buy the academic MC than it is to buy parts of it in almost any combination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.