Student discount on tuesday?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ll PiStoNs ll, Oct 12, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I plan on getting the macbook after my classes end at 2:00 est tuesday, ill stay updated with ipod touch and wifi, so will I be able to get the approximately 100$ off on my macbook tuesday or does it sometimes take a while for them to figure that out

2. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The student discount is year-round and for all computers instantly. It'll be there.

3. macrumors 6502a

Yup. +1.

4. macrumors 65816

How do you prove your a student? Do you have to be taking a full 12 units at College or will one class do (GF goes currently)?

5. macrumors 6502a

You have to provide NO proof if you order online. If you go to a store, they'd probably ask you for your ID. I doubt any more than that.

6. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You prove you're a student by being one. You don't cheat the system.

7. macrumors regular

mrrish

Agree with Tallest Skil: please don't abuse the educational discount.

@ Apple store: Student ID with photo + Valid DL or state ID (to make sure you don't purchase more than 1 computer a year).

If you buy the computer from your student store you may get 200-400 off your macbook/pro purchase sometimes (i know california public universities do this).

8. macrumors 68020

JML42691

Just a heads up, there is a chance that the stores won't have them on the day that they are released, so you might want to double check that the store has them before you go.

9. macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the £99 rebate on the ipod nano still applies? Or does this offer only apply to the current MB?

10. macrumors 6502

I hope theirs a discount i wanna use it. Apple should have released the laptops before school started they would have gotten alot more people.

11. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I really don't think it mattered. A lot of people jumped on the free iPod.

12. macrumors 6502a

Apple did just fine. They do the back-to-school promo every year to clear out stock for the new line.

13. macrumors member

thesnowman16

I'm sure they would have covered all the angles with the back to school special regarding releasing a new macbook.

14. macrumors newbie

Call me ignorant, but is it a flat $100 off for notebooks?

If so, and that $800 price point for a model is true, I'm definately in for a $700 macbook asap.

15. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

no. It's scaled based on price. So the $800 mb could easily only have a $50 off deal.

16. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, back in the day even ipods got the student discount,
    the 1gb shuffle was 139 instead of 149, but the 20 gb ipod was 279 instead of 300, so you got a bigger discount off each one.
    Then it got abused so they took it away. Thats why people need to stop abusing the system **cough** guy above **cough**

17. LDB
    macrumors member

LDB

That's provided the new lowered prices have an education discount available at all. It could be that an $800 Macbook will be as low as they'll go and no further discounts apply. Considering the old educ price was $999 base plus upgrades I'll take $800 flat over the old way.

18. macrumors 6502

rushmere

The UK offer is for a £95 rebate against an iPod, and it runs until 31st October.

The terms state that "All Macintosh computers and the Configure-to-Order versions of these products are eligible, except for Mac mini, Apple TV and iPhone".

So long as Apple don't withdraw the offer tomorrow, it should still be OK. Here's hoping they don't change it!

One extra way of saving money - if you buy it from the Apple Store via www.quidco.com you get 6% cashback in addition to the student discount and the iPod rebate !

19. macrumors Core

alphaod

Not really. I mean for MacBooks it has been $100 off; however for Mac Minis (priced at ~$780), the discount is only $50, so if the new MacBook is ~$800, then expect the discount to be lower.

20. macrumors 6502a

Good work fella for this snippet, lets hope the new MB dont arrive on the 1st Nov...

21. macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You're local Apple Store will NOT have them when you get out of school.

22. macrumors regular

which stores will have them?

23. macrumors 65816

Nobody knows when they are going to be released -- they will be ANNOUNCED tomorrow but it could be an hour, day, week(s) until they actually come out. If you want to buy it tomorrow your best bet is wait and see the announcement or just plan on ordering it from the Apple online store.

24. macrumors 6502

Seems like its only $50 off for the new macbooks

25. macrumors 65816

They were announced today, will be on stores tomorrow(Wednesday)