Student Discount q's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Neo Mike, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Neo Mike macrumors newbie

Hey Guys!
    I'm a student, and recently got my Powerbook and iPod in the mail.

The student discount says I need to mail in the upc code from each (the powerbook and the iPod), but i'm unsure which 2 to send in.

Do I send in the ones from the actual boxes, or the ones from the outer brown packaging material? I have 4 upc codes sitting here. Which did you guys send in?

Thanks!

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Make copies of your UPC for your records and send the ones from the box of the iPod and PB. The UPC should have the serial number of the items and the PB one should have a list of your MAC Address. Dont sent the ones on the brown shipping boxes.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Apple requires the actual UPC Code from the box that the PowerBook and iPod shipped. You will need to cut through the box. Apple won't accept it if you just use the paper layer. They want the paper and cardboard together.

Congratulations on your purchase. They will perform well for college.

4. Neo Mike thread starter macrumors newbie

Next question - I ordered online, and my email is the only "receipt" I got. I guess that will suffice?

5. KindaSlowJohnny macrumors newbie

Does anyone know why Apple requires people to cut the box? Why can't the paper be enough?

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, just as mentioned above be sure to make a copy of the UPC codes and the message for your own records. Good luck. ;)

KindaSlowJohnny, I will admit that I hate to destroy the box in that way. Apple is just trying to prevent fraud.

7. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

if you need the upc from the apple laptop box, what if you need to do it for the printer as well?

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

A quick scan and a tweak in Photoshop may be one reason...

Its a LOT more difficult to fake a UPC, and this is quite common with almost any rebate from ANY company.

Edit: It also complicates the process and confuses consumers, so if you don't follow the directions, they have a reason to not issue a check...

9. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I guess people do not read the little words on the bottom of the paper. It said that if your doing mutiple request of rebates. Note the 2nd rebate form that your UPC is at another place being process for that rebate. I cant remember off my head but they say how to do it on the rebate form.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Also... some people might otherwise attempt to peel off UPCs from unpurchased boxes. Tsk tsk.

11. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Last time I checked, laptops that weren't purchased yet were stored in some room. so I doubt that.

But why dont they watermark their UPC or something. Its so annoying. And their boxes are so cool
    :p

12. natness macrumors newbie

receipt/invoice

"Next question - I ordered online, and my email is the only "receipt" I got. I guess that will suffice?"

I went through this same process, and ended up calling apple because I wanted to be sure I sent the right thing regarding the invoice. The emailed me a detailed invoice that was signifcantly different than anything I had received before. I printed it up and sent it off-- and I got my rebate.

13. Neo Mike thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i sent my itemized invoice email I got. I hope that works... it should one would assume :confused: