Student Discount Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by edwardlanti, Jan 19, 2005.

1. edwardlanti macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2005
    new york city
    hey guys i just wanted to ask a simple question. i am planning to get my first apple computer(got tired of the pc S!@# LOL). if you buy a computer with the student discount on the apple store, do they charge tax on top of the discount that they give you? or they dont? just asking cause i live in NYC, and you know how high the tax are here lol. thanks
  2. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2002
    Yes. Any time a store has a phsyical presence in a state, you pay that state's sales tax, even if you order online.

Incidentally, It's cheaper if you are ordering the Mac mini to order through Macmall, etc, who don't charge sales tax, because you will save more in taxes than the student discount offered by apple.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    You're still required in quite a few states to pay sales taxes on any of these "tax free" purchases.

Just ask Dennis Kozlowski how big a bitch slap he got in New York for evading taxes on his purchases.

Don't worry about it too much, because many states are following California's lead in data mining credit card purchases for tax scofflaws.