Student Discount question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by qzak, Feb 28, 2005.

1. qzak macrumors 6502

hey, i just ordered my first mac, a 17" Powerbook w/ 1gb of ram. :) right now it says 3-5 days till it ships out, i hope it doesn't get pushed back like i hear happens alot. ANYWAY, I selected my college on apple.com then went to it's store and ordered the PB. I got the discounted price and everything, but it never mentioned anything about asking for like proof I'm actually a student.

I thought I read their website like last summer and it saying something about how they wait till you send them prove your a student before they'll ship it out to you, do they still do that, or will they just send it to me when it's ready, or what??

2. vieoray macrumors regular

you dont have to do anything. supposedly they do random checks to see if you really are a student.

3. qzak thread starter macrumors 6502

hrmm.. cool. thanks for the quick response, puts me at a bit of an ease (not completely cause now i'm just anxious for my PB!!!! :D )

4. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I've ordered three computers using student discount (attending UW) and they've never asked me for anything. Maybe they've got their own ways of verifying that you're legit. They treat us just like a regular customer (as far as i can tell) if not better.

Don't worry about it.

5. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

didn't you have to enter your student ID # to access the store? If I remember correctly that's what I needed to do to order though the edu. section. Other than that I don't even think they double check if you are a student while ordering online.

6. qzak thread starter macrumors 6502

nope... all i did was hit edu discount, put in my city/state, selected my school and it brought me back to the store with my school's name on top of the page.

7. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

nope, i've ordered off of the online store and wasnt asked for anything. i did get a call asking if I was a student at UIC a week after my second online store purchase, but nothing else after or before that.
    rest of my purchases were physically in an apple retail, and they require you to have a school ID to do it that way.

8. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

hmm, there must be a difference in that regard form the US edu. store and the Canadian edu. store. I just tried and out of the 5 schools I tried to access all of them require a student ID #.

9. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Stanford (USA) also requires an ID to enter the online edu store as a Stanford student.

10. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I accessed my school's edu store without entering an ID. I guess different schools have different policies. As far as I know, Georgetown goes on the honor-system, I guess.

11. jmk macrumors newbie

I think you're thinking of the ADC student discount. If you order it through the ADC store, I think they wait till you fax over a proof of enrolment and ID. But at the main store, they've never done anything any time I ordered (twice I think).

12. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Purchasing in the deep south

I guess here in the deep south (Louisiana) they just assume that if you're smart enough to figure out that you can get an education you must be smart enough to be in college... they didn't ask me for anything. Not that I'm surprised or anything though... I'm getting ready to order some software so maybe they'll call... who knows though... maybe they'll just leave me be to shop as i wish...