Student Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chadtorts, Oct 17, 2006.

1. chadtorts macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have any experience with buying the newest releases of apple products on a student discount?

I'm currently waiting (with the rest of you) to buy a macbook (pro) until the merom chip is introduced. I am willing to wait a while longer for the update, but if it is released soon, and I am unable to use my student discount for a period of time (whether that be because of high demand or discount restrictions), I would consider buying now. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Chad

2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

to the best of my knowledge apple won't hold it against you to use your student discount on brand new products.

3. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

There's no restriction on edu discount, except for the 1 computer purchase per school year. It doesn't matter if a computer has been out for 0 or 3 billion days, you can always use the discount.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Nope...never had a problem buying with the student discount. That said, I hope the discontinuation of the student discount on the iPods isn't a sign of their plans for the entire Mac line. I don't think so, but you never know.

5. chadtorts thread starter macrumors newbie

6. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

You and me both. But the pricing in my opinion is the best it's ever been. There's really no reason for a discount on the ipods... the top dog is only $350... i shelled out $360 ($400 before student discount) for a 20gig 3rd gen about 2 and a half years ago. Now for $10 less I can snag an 80gig.

I think I'll be picking up a red nano for running... plus $10 goes to a good cause. If I'm not getting a discount, at least someone is getting something.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i thought it would be interesting to see how many years 3 billion days is...

according to Google, 3 billion days = 8,213,727.79 years.

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I bought the 2,000 dollar iMac on education discount and saved 300 dollars. What I find interesting is that Apple asked for absolutely no proof that you are in fact a student/staff member. Oh well, either way, I saved a ton of cash! (which I will now go and blow on bose speakers :D )

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

So the student discount is still good on the MacBook Miocene?

10. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

No, only the iBook Miocene. I called AppleCare and asked them, just to be sure.

11. the kid 05 macrumors regular

St. Charles Illinois (subdiv of Chi-town)
    i bought my Mac Pro 2 days after they released it using my EDU discount :D

12. laprej macrumors regular

You may want to look into joining ADC - the student program is only $99/yr, and the savings are pretty impressive... Check it out:
    http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html
    Click on "ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store."

13. chadtorts thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow...the savings are very impressive on the macbook pros, though I save 50 on a macbook with my student discount. Thanks for the heads up!

You said the membership was $99, but I had only found a free membership application. Would this mean that I am not eligible for the hardware discounts? Do I need to be a developer? Because if so, well then I most certainly am...

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

$1420 for my iMac Core Duo after selling the free iPod. Yes, student discounts are nice. :D

15. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

Best advice to you would be.... see about the price for the education discount.

if that isnt enough savings. try a refurbished macbook pro. first generation yes. but it will cost you less. especially after the new models come out.

16. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I saved 7% roughly using my student discount for my iMac purchase last month.

17. stujohnson macrumors newbie

...they want you to buy it!

I think Apple offers the student discount because they cater to that crowd...
    A thousand shiny illuminated apple logo's on the tops of macbooks all around a university is great advertising...what got me interested at first...
    They're not doing you a favour, you're doing them one!

18. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

The practice of giving students discounts isn't strictly for brand awareness. It is a widely used strategy known as price discrimination. The fact that Apple computers have a glowing logo on the back of the lid is another marketing strategy in itself (yet not at all original).

19. laprej macrumors regular

Right here... All the info you need...
    http://developer.apple.com/students/
    Technically I think they would like for you to actually be a developer, but I don't think they really care.

20. laprej macrumors regular

Actually, if all you want is a Macbook, you can save $100+ if you buy it on Amazon... $100 rebate and (probably depending on the state you live in) no tax!

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think Apple should give extra discounts to businesspeople. That way we can show them around at work and get more people to accept and adopt them at work, which is good for Apple's market share in the workplace. Doesn't Apple think that's as important as getting students on board?

Yeah, I know that's not how it works. Just "wistful" thinking.

22. laprej macrumors regular

Today's students are tomorrow's workforce!

23. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

I wanted to buy the new Apple Nano, but there is no edu discount on that =(