Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
bobert1985 said:
Why buy a refurbished if you can get it new at the same price? What gives? :confused:
Probably because not everyone is elligible for an edu discount... For those who don't qualify, they can still get "good" deals by purchasing refurbished equipment.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If you are eligible for a student discount, I would suggest purchasing new. That way you are able to customize your new Mac. Would suggest at least 1 GB RAM and AppleCare.

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
NO, in fact a refurbished powerbook 12" 1.5 ghz costs the same as a new one does with education discount, i wish they extended the student discount there, but they dont, anyways you should take advantage of the savings
good luck

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
mpopkin said:
NO, in fact a refurbished powerbook 12" 1.5 ghz costs the same as a new one does with education discount, i wish they extended the student discount there, but they dont, anyways you should take advantage of the savings
good luck

You will also want to take into account that Apple will charge you sales tax as well. YMMV depending on where you live. For me it was an extra 9%, and it actually came out cheaper to purchase from a reseller like Macmall.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
No discount on the refurb itself, but discount on the applecare still. I bought refurb instead of new with edu discount because I got a dual 2ghz PM refurb for $1649 and it is the good one with PCI-X, the new one without PCI-X and can only take 4gb RAM was $1799 new with edu discount. hmm...good mobo no discount and still cheaper, or new one with "bad" mobo and get the discount. I chose the good computer. And got applecare for $200.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
bobert1985 said:
How much sales tax do they add if you just buy a new computer? Just for refurbished or all? If so, that's cool, but no scanner. lol

Unless I'm mistaken, Apple will add the relevant sales tax(es) as if you had walked down the street and purchased it in a shop. So whatever rate you normally pay, figure that into account.

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
United States
wdlove said:
If you are eligible for a student discount, I would suggest purchasing new. That way you are able to customize your new Mac. Would suggest at least 1 GB RAM and AppleCare.
Apple's RAM is overpriced. You should by your RAM somewhere else like Newegg or something.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
To comment on the value of the refurb store for those of us able to use the ed discount--it allows access to previous revs for pretty attractive prices.

For example, you can get a rev a 17" iMac G5 w/super for $999, which beats the hell out of $1399 new through the education store. Even factoring in the upgrades needed to make it "healthy", you get a very capable G5 system with a full warranty for a nearly unbeatable price.

You can get similar deals on PowerBooks, Power Macs, and iPods (less so with iBooks, eMacs, and Minis), so the refurb store does have SOME value for us school folk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.