Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
I have bought a student edition of matlab. The problem with that being, the program requires me to place the DVD in the drive for starting. i was wondering if there is any work arround this, so that i donot have to carry that arround!

thanks

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
budugu said:
I have bought a student edition of matlab. The problem with that being, the program requires me to place the DVD in the drive for starting. i was wondering if there is any work arround this, so that i donot have to carry that arround!

thanks

I think you can use Disk Utility to make an image of it and then just mount the image to use it.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
i tried using it but it just gets stuck. And a small change i think it is a CD than a DVD. Has any one tried it before?

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
The best you can do:

Get a hard case for the CD's :) ... I have also a Matlab Student version and AFAIK, no one has got the answer to the question... if you find it, PM me :)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I think it's stupid

I have it too and feel like I am going back to when I had to load programs off the floppy to use them. When ever i have games, I always load the entire program onto the harddrive, I hate having to find the cd everytime i want to play. I've tried all that you guys have mentioned and still no solution......yet.

Lotring

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2004
I own matlab 14...it's easy

ok guy all you've got to do is make sure you have Toast 6 and then put the matlab cd in and go to file>Save as Disc Image and give it a name and location and BAM you're hooked up. it'll be a .toast which is ok since you have toast and just mount the file everytime and you're all set....also make sure you have X11 or else matlab wont run.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
There is no work around for this. If making an image with Disk Utility didn't work, you have to use the CD. I would say make a copy to carry around, and put the original some place safe. I believe Matlab needs to access a license file that is on the CD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.