student looking for video/editing/gaming

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hobalpha, Feb 5, 2004.

1. hobalpha macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2004
    ok i'm so unsure of what to buy. I'm a college student and I need a computer for Photoshop, FCP 4, Dreamweaver MX and the iLife apps and I'll probably be getting into musical recording with it, since garageband can do it and I play the guitar.

I will be doing a lot of video work and web stuff (just beginning) but I really am interested and want to make professional business websites.

I also want to be able to play Halo( extreme fan who wants to play online and doesn't have an xbox in his dormroom), I know there are some gamers round here, so what is the best option should I look for?

My dad has got 17 inch titanium powerbook, which is just awesome.

I have looked at the apple website for refurbished computers and have found some deals.

But I'm not sure I'll be usung the superdrive to write burn dvd's, but you never know.

I want this computer to last me the next two years for college.

I'm split between getting a 15 inch pbook for all the video work and editing, web stuff and the typical web surfing and ilife apps.

I can't make up mind with a 15 pb, superdrive emac, or 15 or 17 inch iMac. Portability would be nice for taking it home and to places but the emac and imac screens are great. So i guess it comes down to processor power for video, web creation, halo gaming(possibly). Hmmmmmmmm.

Your input would be greatly appreciated as I want this computer to last me a few years. I would also be open to buying an external HD. Which brings up another point of where can I customize an apple computer so I could pick the certain graphics/gaming chip, HD, and other essential stuff. I have looked over this site all day today and can't really put my finger on what is best.

Another thing: how important is G4 processor speed, like when it reads G4 550? I assume higher is better. But what is best for what I need it for?

Thanks again!!!!!
  2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    Scope out the HALO system requirments. They are pretty insane. I don't even think a brand new 12" powerbook makes it.

just checked- 1ghz (1,000mhz) G4 or G5. 64mb geforce4ti or radeon 9000 or better. Pretty steep if you want to play halo badly. These requirments cut out the emac and for the most part the imac. 15" or 17" powerbook or powermac is pretty much it.
  3. hobalpha thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2004
    Should I wait for Pbook price drops, is it worth the wait ? and I'm bored with my pc at school, I really want to start learning all the software and FCP.
  4. neonart macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    If you don't HAVE to have a portable, a desktop is a better deal for your needs.
    You pay a high premium for laptops that can't really compete in power with desktops.
    If you are willing to consider a 15" powerbook, then consider a 1.6 or 1.8 G5 with a nice 17" monitor. Then you have one hell of a video/audio/gaming machine, still under $2K.
    An Apple refurb 1.6 G5 is $1399, plus a nice $145 17 " CRT and you got ALOT of CPU for $1550.
    Consider this too: has 1.8Ghz G5's with 1.5GB of RAM for $1699 after rebate. Couple that with a 17" NEC CRT they have for $145 and again you have alot of CPU power for $1850.
    In either case you get WAY more power to do the things you want to do than a Powerbook can currently give you... but it's not portable.
  5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    And the thing to consider is that we're all sort of waiting (some of us impatiently) for the G5 upgrade - which has talk of a G5 iMac. So that would make a huge difference, especially if you plan on doing video work. Rendering the video is very CPU intensive and requires you waiting for some of the effects/filters to finish. The faster the CPU the better off you'll be, especially when you're still using this machine a year or two down the road.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Boy, I don't know. For college, it's really great to have a laptop--for going to the library, study groups, or just hanging out in a coffeeshop with a WAP. Unless you're a very serious gamer or very serious about video editing, a new 15-inch AlBook should serve you very well for the next two years.
  7. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    for college i'd most definately get the 1.25GHZ 15" pb. it's portible enough to take everywhere and plays Halo really well (my friend has one). i have the new 12" and i play Halo on it with settings turned down (it's the 32MB video card that makes it slow compared to the 15"s 64MB card). Other than that i love my 12" to death.
  8. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2003
    Performance on a 1.25 !5" is shaky at best.
  9. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2003
    Washington DC
    I would disagree with that. I play halo pretty regularly on my 1.25 15", and I have had no problems.