student needs powerbook advice

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by fumbled, Jan 28, 2006.

1. fumbled macrumors newbie

hello. i've lurked for quite a while, but this is my first post. i hope you'll bare with me as i gather my thoughts. i might ramble.

i'm a college kid who's about ready to fling his aging dell laptop out a window. rage aside, i was given a ray of hope this week from my uncle. he has a nicely used 17" powerbook G4. 1Ghz, 512mb ram, 60gig hdd, super drive, airport extreme. it has a good chunk of warranty remaining and from what i've been told is in near mint condition. a major plus for me is that he's willing to let me have it for $1000 AND is being kind enough to let me pay him whatever i can on a monthly basis until it's paid off. i've been saving what i can for a new laptop, but it's a tricky situation with the start of a new semester and other expenses.

my exposure to apple/macs (excluding my beloved ipod) has been somewhat limited: a few friends have ibooks, the art department harbors some G5 powermacs, and one of our libraries houses quite a few emacs. however, my experiences have been positive. so i'm keen on the idea of taking up this offer from my uncle.

outside of the usual stuff, i do a lot of photography work. converting raw files, scanning slides, etc. i already know i'll have to add more ram.

so after all of my rambling, i'm just curious to see what you seasoned users have to say. good investment? bad? any advice/tips?

thanks!

**oops, had to edit it a bit. i meant 17" instead of 15" and super drive instead of combo drive. sorry for the mix up.

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

$1000 is a good price for a 17" with those specs
    get another 512mb or 1gb ram stick for it to speed it up...

I would definetely grab it

The specs are decent for most games too
    battery life is crap though...

3. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

yah its a pretty good deal, ask about battery life, which should last a good amount if doing word processing...

4. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

The 17" PB is a huge mother.(compared to my 12"PB)
    For $1000.00 I can't see how you could go wrong. Add a gig of ram and you're set.

5. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

dude im a college student who finally kicked his old pc for a 17 powerbook too. its awesome b/c i never get this kinda thing, going to classes and the library is like showing it off b.c no one has one as nice. good luck and enjoy

6. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Buy

I agree with everyone just go buy it, but you honestly will need some more ram.

7. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Buy it!

Trust me u wont regret it. I have had my 15" PB almost for a year now and it has been a god-send. Sounds like a great deal! U will be kicking urself if u don't get it.

8. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

haha, wicked - my uncle bought me a brand new G4 Powerbook (the latest one) from the new Mac Store in Sheffield - Honestly, i was so happy - We had heard rumours of the Intel Powerbook but we thought nah... keep it to PowerPC :)

Honestly, just buy it mate - You wont do yourself justice by getting an Intel MacBook Pro - The only decent feature of the MacBook Pro is the built in iSight Camera, and you can get FrontRow on the G4 PowerBook which I've got :)

In a nutshell, buy the G4 :D