Student Please Advise me with Mac laptops...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BKKloppenborg, May 2, 2005.

1. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

Hey guys i have been a Windows user all my life even though i am only 18 lol i first started using one when i was 10. I am getting sick of all the Viruses my Laptop gets, i run THREE anti-virus programs just to keep computer clean. Plus WIndows is making me P.O. in general.. Looking to switch to mac, right now am using a Toshiba Satellite A15-129 Specs are 2.4 ghz Celeron, 752 mb ram, 40 gb hd, 64 mb Video memory, Windows XP home. I would like a Mac that is AT least as fast as this one goes, i am on a budget since i am a student once i decide i like mac os i would buy a Mac, put it on my Credit card, and then sell this one and can get at least 600 for it. So that will cut down on price, better thing is that Apple said that if i buy one before June 25 or somewhere around their i get 200 dollers off and also a 100 doller mail in rebate. WOW :eek: nice... I would use a laptop for...

School, (Word proccesing), mabye some web, some rendering, some games like Starcraft D2 Expansion, and Unreal 2... Last thing i would use it for is Watching DVDs on it.. (Laptop right now does Great!)

I know Powerbook is better overall but is it worth the extra money if i am on a budget what i need it for or will the 2nd or 3rd ibook do?

Did they ever fix that copy files to CD issue? where if you copy file to CD then it would only work on Cd then not computer until you moved it back on again?

How is Mac OS Tiger, or Mac OS Panther compared to Windows?

Macs Office is called The same as WIndows excpet its not called Windows right?

Can you guys suggest a Model for my needs? Max i will spend is 1,300-1,400 dollers just because i can get 300 dollers off then 600 dollers at least for Laptop (Low balling) was 1,024 a year ago..

Thanks, Brian

2. isgoed macrumors 6502

the iBook and powerbook are currently very much alike in performance. The big difference is the Graphics card. The ibook has a radeon 9200 32mb which does not support all Tiger's Core Image functions. The Powerbook has a radeon 9700.

Currently I would recommend an iBook if you are tight on a budget. This will also enable you to buy some extra ram.

If you want an iBook WAIT FOR UPGRADES. (they probably come soon)

The powerbook however is said to be capable to run Doom3. Albeit on the lowest settings. In general you won't get the same game experience as on the PC and much less titles are ported (but enough not to get bored)

Mac's office is called Office: Mac (made by microsoft of course). It does not come pre-installed you must buy it. Of note; Apple is working on its own office and already has a word processor (pages) and an presentation app (keynote)

Tiger/Panther and windows are both full featured OS's. Both require some time to get used to. The main benefits I can say about apple are:
    • stability (Windows is also quite stable)
    • looks
    • unix compatibility (and of course linux and windows compatibility)
    • polished (apple has a good programming style)
    • and of course no more viruses.

3. 2Sticky macrumors regular

I was in the same situation as you, and I went for the iBook, I would have loved a powerbook, but I couldn't jusify paying the price for a slightly bumped version of the iBook, as I wouldn't be taking full advatage of it!

So I have a iBook, and its great! the OSX is easy to use, and will take 1-2 days to get use to it, and know your way around.

I also bought Office:Mac, and it is alot better on the Mac then windows, the grahpics of the program is alot better, and overall just runs better!

So I would and did go for the iBook! and as your on a tight budget, a decent iBook I am sure would be find.

4. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

so with the Ibook i can't upgrade Video ram right if i ever wanted to upgrade it or could i?

If not then i don't know 32 is kinda bad 64k is better plus Apple said i could upgrade Video ram on the Powerbooks forgot to ask them about ibooks..

So far its between

$1,399.00
    12.1-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    1.5GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    60GB Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce FX
    Go5200 (64MB DDR)
    Full size keyboard
    10/100BASE-T Ethernet
    FireWire 400
    Analog audio in/out
    Mini-DVI out

So it would be about 500 bux with rebates and Selling old Laptop...
    Price: $949.00
    1.2GHz PowerPC G4
    512K L2 cache @1.2GHz
    12-inch TFT Displays
    1024x768 resolution
    256MB DDR266 SDRAM
    30GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    32MB DDR video memory
    AirPort Extreme built-in

Not sure about 30gb HD though i have a 40 now and it is almost full... But thuis is possbile
    Price LOL 40 dollers with rebates and If i sell old Laptop...

Last
    Price: 1,199.00
    1.33GHz PowerPC G4
    512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz
    14-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    256MB DDR266 SDRAM
    60GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    32MB DDR video memory
    AirPort Extreme built-in

219 with rebates and selling old laptop

So pretty much its all between if i can upgrade Video ram on ibook like the powerbook like guy said if yes on ibook then just get the 949.00 one probaly and if not then probaly powerbook...

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just to be on the safe side: You are aware that the PowerBook GPU upgrade is BTO only, right...? You cannot upgrade it later...

I'm with isgoed on this, if you can wait a bit than the next rev iBooks will probably have 64MB VRAM, and the iBooks would suit your needs just fine. (I love my good old iBook G4...)

6. arribadia macrumors member

It is unlikely that the new iBooks will have 64mb.. what would differentiate the PBs from it then?

7. timmyb macrumors 6502

Why exactly? The new eMacs and iMacs both do. I would expect the next iBook and Mini revisions to include 64MB VRAM.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The new PBs will have better specs. We just need to wait a bit for them. I suspect at least an announcement in a month. The new iBooks will have bumps to support Tiger/Core, and the new PBs will have even nicer surprises.

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

as a student myself, i say go for the iBook. my first mac was an iBook G3 and it was great. it was affordable and did all of the basics, word processing, internet etc. it makes a great first mac. and after you get it paid off you can save your money for the full on PB. so get an iBook, keep it for a year or two then (HOPEFULLY!!) by then there will be PB G5!! heh. and by then youll have saved some money for a PB. they are so close in specs that its not worth it for the PB unless you really NEED the extra video memory for graphics or you just want it and have the money!

also, look into an apple loan. . . its basicly the same thing as a credit card but it only works for apple. its a little better than a credit card because it has lower interest rates. or at least it did when i got my loan. but i think they switched compaines since then so you might check what the new deals are like. its a great option especially if youre going to sell your other laptop and pay off the loan quickly.

10. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

i can only wait a little longer lol my damn toshiba is falling apart need to take it in for warrenty repair... Can't now before finals.. Latest i would get a new Laptop is June 17-June 23 After my Bday...

Don't think i will be upgraded by then.. :(

Yup thinking about Apple Loan its like 12 percent right? My credit card is 23% LOL... But i think i do need graphics that is why i am looking at powerbook i guess it all depends when i try them on Wendsday...

11. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

if you need the graphics then forget the ibook...my 1.33 G4 is mediocre at graphics with the 32..i dont care...when PB G5 is out...ill be one happy boy

12. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

lol i mean 32 MIGHT be enough.... I mean the most intense game i play is Unreal 2004 and that is with a 64mb Video but when i had 32mb it was fine expcet i need more then 256 ram lol then when i bought more ram it updated itself and added more Video to...

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Laptop graphics cards and video RAM can not be upgraded. Not just Apple- with ANY laptop.

System RAM can be upgraded, but not video.

14. gamestriker macrumors regular

Again, similar situation, starting college in the fall. I went with the PowerBook 12". If you can spend the extra bit of money, do it and get a PowerBook 12", especially since you can get some 200 bucks off with the student discount. I got the 2nd PowerBook 12" option for $1500 with discount, you can get the 1st option for $1300-1400 with discount. The PowerBook will be a lot better for the gaming.

15. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

Ok i have it narowed down to 2 computers..

$1,199.00
    1.33GHz PowerPC G4
    512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz
    14-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    256MB DDR266 SDRAM
    60GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    32MB DDR video memory
    AirPort Extreme built-in
    or
    $1,399.00
    12.1-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    1.5GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    60GB Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce FX
    Go5200 (64MB DDR)
    Full size keyboard
    10/100BASE-T Ethernet
    FireWire 400
    Analog audio in/out
    Mini-DVI out

Of corse i like powerbook better lol but its deciding if i can afford that much more money... Its wired how ibook comes with Office software to do doc, but Powerbooks don't usally its oposite cheaper computers don't expensive ones do? Wired...

Wow i feel so happy to get a mac soon to bad their expensive...

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Note: no Macs come with Office (except for 30 day trial version).

I'd go with the PB because of the enhanced graphics (not amazing graphics, but much better).

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

just a thought, u can check out the refurbished systems to save more $$

18. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

ya i just saw that one thier web site not bad pricing to bad they don't have any powerbooks right now just some ibooks.. Thanks for the sugestion!

19. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Do not expect much from macs as gaming goes. I switched back in Sept 2003, and have been pretty unhappy with gaming performance in general, even on my G5 with a Radeon 9800 Pro.

I personally think UT2004 runs pretty bad on even the new top of the line Powerbooks, so I wouldn't expect Unreal 2 to play well at all (I don't think it runs well on my G5 either).

As iBooks go, I was testing out a relative's 1.2 GHz 12" iBook yesterday and was playing Gooball (shareware game, ambrosiasw.com) and it couldn't even handle it at 1024x768 at full graphics quality. That should tell you the graphics power of the iBook. I doubt it could handle Warcraft III in big battles without lagging, and that game is 3 years old.

I'm about to go (back) to school this fall and I have a bit of money to spend on a laptop. Unless the Powerbooks get a hell of an upgrade, I think I'll end up getting the next revision 12" iBook as long as it gets a Tiger compatible graphics card and bank the other $1200 for a gaming PC next year when Unreal Tournament 2006 comes out and dual core processors are standard (and Longhorn is out). That way I can use a portable mac and be able to play the top of the line games.

Also, don't get the Apple loan, it's a rip-off. If you're a college student, just take out more in student loans.

Hope that was a bit helpful.

20. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! Yup on my PC unreal 2004 runs great, with only 64mb video memory and 752 mb ram... I guess i will see how games run on it when i try it out Wensday... I hope i will be happy with it... before i put extra ram in laptop it sucked playing that game lol 32mb video 256 mb ram.. So laggyyyyy.. Well a 512 stick fixed that. :D

P.S. we used to play unreal on the computers at my old High School on those cheap ass G3 33mhz ones with 92mb of ram and it ran fine still... I thought that was amazing i used to play that game all the time it never really lagged.. Those G3 screens were HORRBILE though imo so dark and hard to see.. We did a system link of about 8-10 players so i guess i will take a Game disk or ask them to install one so i can test it out on a Mac to see if its good enough for me i am not really picky as long as game plays and isn't laggy laggy then its all good.. **** i have never had a graphics card just Video Memory lol...

Wish i was at old high school so i could ask my teacher if i could try it out its funney though i always talked trash about Macs and i would LOVE to see the face on my Computer teacher when i tell him i got a mac lol He woul dbe happy because he loves them...

21. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

22. Romulan macrumors member

Just remember, the rebates and discounts will only apply on new systems. Good Luck!!!

P.S. I've owned both 14 inch ibook and a 12 inch powerbook(which im using now). The performance gap between the two HUGE in my opinion. After a few months when your computer gets clogged with files, the ibook will get some serious lag (like on D2 lol). That's what happened to me at least. After owning a powerbook for over 6 months, i haven't had any such problems. It runs just like it did when i bought it. So if you haven't noticed yet, my vote goes to the 12 inch powerbook. Go Macs!!!!! :D

23. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I know, that really stinks! It just happened. I had my dad all ready to buy. It was that or a new iBook. How could you get an iBook over that?

But, I called today, and they should be getting them back in the middle of the month. My dad's waiting for them. By then we should also see what happens with the iBooks.

See this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=124216

24. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

What are these rebates that you mention? Thanks.

-Brian