Student PoerMac Purchase, Wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Rags, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Rags macrumors member

Aug 27, 2002
    I currently have a PC and it's modest at 1Ghz/512Mb, I won't bore you with the rest of the details but I don't feel slowed down with the machine. With that being said I'm ready to switch my home machine to the Mac, finally after all this waiting the money is available. Or, at least I hope it is. My main reason for wanting to switch is I now earn money with Adobe's software so I think it would be right to purchase from them rather than seek warez versions. Since I have to purchase all this expensive software I might as well use the platform I want, because after I make the software purchases there's no easy way back...

Being a student I get to take advantage of Apple hardware and Adobe/Microsoft discounts. I can only afford $3,500 for a new setup. That will include dual CRT monitors, a Wacom 6x8 tablet, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, GoLive, LiveMotion, InDesign, and Acrobat, Microsoft Office X (I only use Word and Excel), BBEdit, and $120 in other software I think I need.

With the above I am left a single choice for a computer. The academic config at the Apple store for a G4 867, 1.5Gb RAM (1Gb Crucial), 80Gb HDD, and Radeon 9000. Not a bad setup in my opinion but I'm at odds with making the purchase now because I would sure hate to buy it and see a newer "low-end" config available in a couple months. I'm seeking the greater knowledge of the Macrumors community to help me out, you guys know more about Macs than I :) How will the above config perform 2 years from now? Can I still run the next version of all of the above programs without serious speed issues? How does it compare to my current 1Ghz/512Mb PC? Double the performance?
  2. Rags thread starter macrumors member

Aug 27, 2002
    Note that I meant a single 867 not the wind-tunnel...
  3. Rags thread starter macrumors member

Aug 27, 2002
    I'm getting no replies because I spelled "Power Mac" as "PoerMac" isn't it? It was a typo, sheesh... I purchased the above system and I was stunned to find out I had to pay $80+ in taxes! Forget the 6x8 Wacom, I'm down to 4x5 now... dropped InDesign and Acrobat too, didn't really need 'em anyway.

It's weird talking to myself...
  4. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It will be fine for 2 years. They aren't going to replace it with a new model within the next couple of months. Macs product cycle would predict around next summer probably early. Either way, your computer shouldn't be obsolete for along time. Sorry you didn't know about the taxes, but thats where Apple gets ya. You mad a good choice man, and you should enjoy it