Student purchase limits

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by yg17, Mar 5, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I bought an iPod from the Apple Store about a month ago and used my college student discount. Now, my brother wants an iPod, but he's in high school. I know I'm not supposed to, but I was going to buy it for him and get the discount. Then I remembered Apple says you can only buy 1 iPod per year with the discount. Do they actually keep track, or is it like the entire edu system in general where it's mostly based on the honor system? Thanks

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I'm pretty sure they track it with your account. I haven't actually run into it myself (and I have purchased a lot of stuff with my edu discount, although still under the limit), but it does bring up a very interesting question....

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Hmm...

I may do it online then. I think I'll have better luck that way :\

4. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

I don't think they can do anything about it if you go to a physical store with your student ID or whatever. Since it's a gift, you won't be registering it with your account (probably how they check it), so you'll probably be ok. Besides, at the physical stores they don't show you the user agreement anyways, at least not in my experience.

5. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

iHeartTheApple

I'm pretty sure they keep track of your purchases. :( Everytime I purchase something at my local Apple Store and use my student discount, they ask to see my student ID and actually take it to copy down the ID#...But, it would be nice to see if this is actually the case. Give it a try and let us know! :D

6. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

You don't NEED an actual ID or an ID#, you just have to prove that you attend or have been accepted, so I can't see how they would really track it. They don't track it at my local Apple Store, as far as I know.

7. jer2eydevil88 macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

I don't think they keep track of it if you order offline...

I bought two mac mini's at the same time with the student discount and they didn't do anything to prevent me. :) still using those mini's today.

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

There are limits, its 2 systems, 1 laptop, and 1 copy of any given software title. I believe this is why they force you to buy the software from the online store and apple retail stores wont do student discounts on software.

Ed

9. deral macrumors regular

deral

I've bought an iPod mini, nano, and video all in the same year (circa 2005). All with no probs

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I used to work at the Bookstore at my University (UC Riverside), and I worked in the computer section. We had no formal way of tracking students buying habits, and we were not required to give any information to Apple.

So go for it, nothing they can do.

11. howesey macrumors 6502a

Buy online, you save a heck of a lot more than using discount in an Apple Store.

I've bought multiple Apple products from the ASE, never had a problem.

12. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

Nah, buy from an Apple store. Once you prove that you attend college, I think they are obliged to sell it to you at the discounted student price. I've never had a problem at an Apple store before.

13. rockandrule macrumors 6502

But you can do that within the guidelines. Apple says that you can buy one of each "model" of iPod per year. So one iPod, one Nano, one Mini, etc.

14. infectbda macrumors member

I'm surprised Apple isn't stricter with this. The discounts themselves are a huge deal, but the possible reselling of items could really undercut profits.