Student Reinstated After Principal Flap

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by latergator116, Mar 24, 2005.

1. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nice... another case of Do as I say, not as I do. Shame on that principle.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

See, now that was a public service announcement. ;)

Now taking pictures of his mistress and him smoking in a motel room, would be pushing it. :p

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Student free speech is really being attacked lately... The number of kids that have been expelled/almost expelled (but weren't thanks to the ACLU) for making unpopular statements, sometimes outside of school, is on the rise. As Tinker v. Des Moines said so many years ago, kids don't shed the 1st amendment at the schoolyard gates, and now we know administrators don't gain the right to not be photographed while breaking the law...

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not only should that principle know better, he/she should have some sort of reprimand for taking things too far and a bit to personally

the kid didnt do anything wrong, and shouldnt have been punished, the principle should have for smoking where he/she was

7. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

The school my brother and I go to tried to suspend him for making a website where students could make comments about their teachers. The prinicpal threatened to expell him when he wouldn't take the site down, so he threatened to call the newspaper. No problems after that. ;)

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the authority figures at a lot of schools like to go on power trips these days it seems, students have rights too, but the administration doesnt like to realize that sometimes, im happy that your brother didnt get into trouble though

now when you are talking about Private schools, yes the students do surrender some rights, which im not sure is such a good thing all the time, although at least at my Private HS Free Speech was very liberal and encouraged, maybe because we didnt need to be so P.C.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I like the picture of the principal smiling at the camera. It's surprising that the principal wouldn't have be aware of the law. I do think that the student should have taken the pictures to someone in authority, instead of posting the on the Internet. Just wonder what was done to the principal.

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I support online critiques, especially of products and people who service the public sector. They are required to work at their optimum.

11. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

It's also amazing how much some of the teachers disregard the students' rights. One teacher told me that "kids don't have any rights" becuase I wouldn't stand up for the pledge alegiance.

12. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I would bet the principal was very aware of the law.

Hence the need to get rid of the photos...

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Maybe his motive wasn't to get the Principal in trouble. Maybe it was just a case of, "Hey guys, guess what I saw my Principal doing!!"

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

as someone who was going to go into the teaching field, and still am, just at a higher level, i cannot believe the audactiy of teachers these days. You have rights, especially when you are in a public institutuion. They can make certain requirements of you, but the Pledge of Alegiance technically is a persons choice to say it or not

if teachers aren't being good role models, and since parents are basically using school for daycare and raising their children, is it no surprise that some students turn out the way that they do

and Abstract i totally agree, the kid could have been using the picture for purposes that weren't directly hostile to the principle, but i am sure that the principle overreacted and wanted to cover his/her bases to not get in trouble for breaking a law that they knew about

15. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

It might have been that too, but apparatently the principal isn't very well liked at that school. According to the kid's web page, she is prejudice towards hispanics.

16. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I think that the way the kid went about this was not the best line of action to take. I think that he should have kept this a private matter instead of posting it on the internet for all the world to see. While I know what the principal did was wrong, I think that the kid could have used the pictures in a bit more conservative manner.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while you are right, he probably should have exercised some more caution with what he did, isnt it his choice, and his right to be able to post what he wants on his website so long as it is not illegal? if its his computer, and he pays for the site, then he is free to do what he wants

18. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

We're talking about a kid here. Subtle is not in their vocabulary.

Plus, who does he send it to? The teacher/principal is supposed to be the authority. A blog post, showing an embarassing picture of a principal that I gather is generally disliked is exactly what I would expect out of a high-school student. Sounds like it made the point too.

19. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

If the principal haden't wrongfully suspended him, the story probably wouldn't have been on Yahoo news. The principal is the one who decided to suspend him when she had no right to, thus gaining even more unwanted attention.

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Welcome to the public school system in Rhode Island :rolleyes:

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I saw this story on the news. It reminded me how I often see nurses smoking at the entrance area of a hospital, just outside the building. And I see teachers smoking during their breaks in areas where students sometimes see them. They go just far enough off campus so they are not technically on school property, then puff away. I wish they'd make a little more effort to stay out of students' sight.

22. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

While I agree that the teacher was wrong to say that, you DO have rights, I think it's pretty sad that you chose to use your rights to not stand up for the Pledge of Allegiance of all things. :confused:

23. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

Why? I don't beleivde in god so I shouldn't have to recite the something I don't beleive in.

24. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

But not believing in God invalidates the whole pledge to your country? Why not just omit "Under God"? Don't get me wrong, it's definitely your right to choose whether or not to stand and/or recite the pledge, I was just curious why.