Student shot with tazer by UCLA cops

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Nov 16, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I figured I'd post this in the political forum, it'll end up here eventually, might as well save the moderators some work.

http://dailybruin.com/news/articles.asp?id=38958

So, what do you think?

IMO, this is a complete abuse of power by the cops. I don't buy the bullcrap that he refused to leave after he was tazed. A tazer immobilizes you, that's the entire point of a tazer. Of course he couldn't leave, the cops sent 50,000 volts through him. I don't think he wanted to stay around to get tazed 3 more times

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I think some part of the story is missing.

3. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

you know, the campus police at my alma mater carry firearms...makes one think...

4. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

there's either something missing in the story or security when completely overboard.

5. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

There's not. I saw the video.

The student was asked to leave the library because he didn't have an ID, and it was after 11pm. This is common practice in the colleges I have attended. Most of the time students will argue with the guards. This guy did and then agreed to leave. As he was leaving, the campus police grabbed him and tried to "help" him out the door. It doesn't help that he is a Muslim.

That is where it got weird. He took offence at them manhandling him and told them to stop touching him. I understand completely, I have had disagreements with campus security before, but I have never been manhandled. The police got mad at him and tazered him, making him scream in pain - that's when he got really mad. So he sat on the floor and refused to move. So they kept tazering him over and over again. A large crowd of students assembled and got on the cops' case, asking for badge numbers and the like. A cop in the video threatens to tazer a student who is asking for his badge number. Why they couldn't have just carried the guy out like normal cops would is beyond me.

Absolutely over the top and unconscionable.

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I don't think it was that he refused to move, I think it was that he couldn't move.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Tazer has replaced the baton as the meat tenderizing stick of choice by thugs with a badge. :(

When you sit down and refuse to move, that's when you slap the cuffs on -- btw, I don't think the tazer was meant to be a cattle prod, since it is supposed to screw with muscle control.

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

here's the tasering vid

We watched another kind of video in sociology. My teacher said that it was the law that the tasers only to be used as if they were a gun. Bang bang, shoot bullets gun.

I think the cops had a multitude of other ways of getting him to leave.
    What struck me most was how crowded it was in the library at the time of the tasering. the cops still had the cajones to do that. Wow.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as disturbing as that was (and it was disturbing), it was heartening to see so many students trying to do the right thing.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They definitely overdid it on the third time but the student could have done was he was told to do instead of being defiant. They probably wouldn't have used the tazer in the first place, if he'd just left properly.

Some girl here tried to leave school when the building was evacuated and she was told 3 times to stop. When she didn't, they knocked her to the ground. Of course, she wasn't in the wrong at all. :rolleyes:

11. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

12. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I agree completely.

There are no shortage of brownshirts on Youtube justifying it, however. The Authoritarian Personality will always be with us.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Those Officers should lose their jobs. They completely went overboard, andseem to be too power hungry. If someone else in the library had called the city police, could they have done anything to the campus police, and if they could why didn't anyone call?

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

They overdid it the first time. The kid was on his way out when they tazed him. He couldn't stand up because he had been tazed.

Watching that video pissed me off so much.

15. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Being defiant? By accounts from people there, he was leaving the library.

The police do not have the right to lay a hand on you unless you are committing a crime, or it they need to do so to prevent you from committing one. Even then, they can only use minimal necessary force.

I'll defy the police all day on that one.

I'm glad I wasn't there. If it was me, I would have rounded up any big guys there (although how many linebackers visit the library?) and forcibly removed him from police custody. No court in the land would convict us with that film.

I guess it's because the cops have guns. If this was my country, they wouldn't, and they would have deservedly had the crap kicked out of them by the students.

I mean, this is so ridiculous: the police were torturing that man.

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The arseholes went overboard, why can't you simply admit that? The evidence is pretty overwhelming.

I don't understand what you mean about the girl? She was trying to leave as the school was being evacuated and then told not to????

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

That makes me really happy to see that when I just read an article in the college newspaper saying that they're looking in to getting campus safety officers who carry guns at my school. :eek:

The guy was tasered out and on the ground tho...there was no way he was leaving or standing up after the first hit. That's like someone knocking the wind out of you and simultaneously waxing all of the hair out of your body, and then asking you to get up and move.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The girl was climbing the fence to get away from the high school when they were only supposed to evacuate the building. Sorry that I wasn't clear.

I can admit after using a tazer on him the 2nd time, they should have found some other way to get him out. The student was defiant. Had he just left when told, it wouldn't have been a problem.

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

He was leaving when they tazered him. I still don't see why they had to do it at all.

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

so what? he was leaving, they tortured him.
    it's the usual powertrip of morons with a badge.

I think they should loose their job AND do some jail time.

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

wow, that was disturbing. unfortunately it's hard to see how things started from the video, but it does seem like all the student witnesses are saying he was leaving. even if he was yelling at the police while leaving, that still doesn't give them a right to taze him.

22. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

So you're ok with tazering people when they don't comply with your wishes? :eek: WTF?
    Next thing you know, restaurant owners tazer people when they don't want to leave.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

anybody here who can explain "campus police" ? is it like security guards or those guys who check buildings at night ... we have the second stuff around here but armed security guards throwing out students ... i never heard of something like that around here

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Campus police are security guards hired by the university to babysit, errr, um, patrol the campus. Some carry guns but most are unarmed.

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd always thought that universitites wanted their own police force because they didn't want the city or town police force coming down hard on students.

in order to form a safe, protective, pro-learning environment, campus police are specially trained for student body behavior and their needs.

theoretically, anyway. sad when it all goes horribly wrong.