Student sues to be sole valedictorian

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stelliform, May 10, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

2. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

jesus, that is pathetic. on so many levels. i don't even know what to say. i hate the competitiveness of school in the first place, i hate people who sue for no reason, i hate parents too involved in their kids affairs, i hate people who cry discrimination for very little thing...
    obviously i hate a lot of things. this should never have happened. be happy with co-valedictorian. it's a great achievement. not like harvard's going to reject you because there was someone shared the title with you. there are plenty of people in th world who are just as good as you. get used to it. you can't sue them all.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have found what could be comments from kids in her class. Or they could be false, but they sound convincing

4. macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting these comments from her schoolmates. They all have good points. When I first read about this story, the article stated that the student suing to be sole valedictorian had already been accepted to 5 ivy league schools, so I couldn't understand why it was such a big deal to be valedictorian. I think, as was suggested above, she's just a spoiled b*tch. Anyways, just to prove how frivolous our legal system has become, she won her lawsuit (CNN article ) and is seeking punitive damages of $2 million. Simply unbelievable. It's because of the fact that people like this girl become lawyers that lawyers tend to be the moral bottomdwellers of society.

5. macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Personally, I think the saddest thing about this is the amount of energy wasted on something so meaningless. As the author of the Philadelphia Inquirer noted:

I graduated from high school back in 1996 and college back in 2000. I've won my share of honors, awards, etc. And you know what? They mean almost NOTHING in the real world. Will anyone really care that she was the class valedictorian, especially the only body that would ever care (Harvard) has already accepted her? If this girl does not exercise greater tact and human interaction skills, then she'll be in trouble. What is she going to do when her supervisor tells her straight up he doesn't give a damn about her being a class valedictorian? Sue him to make him recognize it? What is she going to when her snobbiness turns everyone against her? Sue them to force them to be her friend?

6. macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

BTW, you can read her profile here:

http://www.studentrewards.com/scholarships/discover.html

The girl won a whopping $25k to go to Harvard despite being wealthy enough to have home tutors. Me? I was a perfectly healthy boy without any health problems who graduated from a school in the ghetto where Snoop Doggy Dog and all the other gangsta' rappers attended before they hit it big. I went to UC Berkeley, borrowed more than $15k, and got a part-time job to pay my way through school because my parents were too poor. <sigh>

Let me just add one more thing: I'm not a GQ model or anything, but I'll just say that in addition to suffering from chronic fatigue, she apparently also suffers from a case of ugliness.

7. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Ok, What the heck?

This doesn't make any sense. Why would anyone ruin a reputation they have built over something so meaningless? I have a question. Do any of you think she actually took those AP tests, or did she take the classes? If she took them, I want to see the scores. Three's won't count to me in this case.

P-Worm

8. macrumors 68000

lmalave

It gets worse. I'm sure she and/or her brother become a politician or a very successful business person. Her dream job is to be a poverty lawyer? Yeah f***ing right. She's just saying what the Ivy League admissions want to hear.

Unfortunately, examples like this teach the unfortunate lesson that the way to get ahead in this world is to work the system as much as possible and bend the rules as much as possible (if not break them outright). Apparently honor is for suckers who just don't have what it takes to win.

9. thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

10. macrumors 604

iJon

my school is like that too. athletics and any sport is credited less than a regular class. if you take a year of athletics you only get semester credit.

iJon

11. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

my school district is so messed up because of state requirements.

that person seems like a snobby spoiled brat who gets everything she wants. i don't understand why she wouldn't want to be co-valedictorian. i want to see if she gets her way or not.

she will have to get uswed to the fact that people are always better than you in something.

12. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well normally i say if a school has a validictorian, it has ONE. if not, fine (actually all the better). If the validictorian candidates have the same GPA, go by extracurricular activities or attendance or something.

But... this situation sounds different, and i can sympathize with the competitiveness. Not directly, i was a D-student for the most part, but in our school the megaperfect students were rallying the school board to award an extra like .2 for an A+, which sort of makes sense, since the other grades have a distinction. But when you realize these kids' GPA would then compete with other (normal) schools' kids' GPAs, it's not really fair at all...

i did support it at the time tho, i actually managed an A+ in like two classes... :)

pnw

13. macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Yup. Isn't funny how such people have the luxury to say they want to work as a poverty lawyer? After all, mommy and daddy's money will carry them through anything, so they can pretty much persue what they want or say they want. I had friends who bummed around after graduation going to Europe (with their parents' money, of course) and taking a year off trying to decide what to do while I had to scramble to find a job and pay off my student loans.

The most ironic thing is that I'm such a capitalist (I work in finance), but hearing cases like this brings out the Marxist side of me. :D

14. macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

yeah, this girl pretty much is just a petty b*tch. getting this recognition will do nothing other than further her own ego - something that seems like a very bad idea. and if what is said about her pulling out of classes she wasn't doing well in, only to do well with a private tutor is true... majorly sketch!!

most ironic to me, though, is something from her profile page...

An Olympic Torchbearer in 2002. "I was so excited, I could barely sleep!"

so she can do the distance carrying an olympic torch, but she can't manage a PE class. please. there are PE classes at most schools that you can get through with minimal physical exertion.

15. macrumors 6502

You guys are missing the point. The school was saying she got an advantage because she was given accomadations for her disabilty. Accomadations are given to even things out, not to give an advantage. She was right to sue, the school had the head up their *ss. Oviously no one here knows anyone with a disability or about discrimination.

16. macrumors 6502

daMn.....if there ever wasnt more proof for forced abortions!

17. macrumors 68000

lmalave

I agree with you in principle, but her "disability" was "chronic fatigue". Judging from her classmates' comments, apparently what happened is that she would start a class in the classroom, and when she looked headed for a bad grade, she would then drop out of the class due to "chronic fatigue", and finish the class with a tutor that would magically give her an A+.

So I agree with you that in principle a disabled student should not have an "asterisk" next to their valedictorian status because they could not take gym class, and the judge's ruling was a correct one. But I think what people are reacting to is the person not the legal principle. I think a student that fakes a disability so that she can receive grades from her home tutor and boost her GPA does a great disservice to students that actually are disabled.

18. thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

19. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

for the record, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a very real and very devistating disorder. But it sounds like she was really taking advantage of it here... missing PE is one thing, and appropriate for the syndrome, but the other stuff sounds shady...

pnw

20. macrumors 6502

Yeah, but none of us KNOW what her accomodations were. We know what her classmates say, but a bunch of gossiping high school students are exactly the most reliable source. Moreover, it is not like the government does not check into disability claims. They actually make those with disabilities jump through more hoops than they should to get accomodations. I have a feew friends who have some minor mental disabilities and the *ssholes here at UCDavis give them the bare minimum in the way of accomodations. If they thought they might have to pay out $2.5 million they might rethink things a bit. As it is a punative damage I do not think that this girl should get the money though. Punishing the school is not winning the lottery. The money should go to a well established charity of the girl's choosing.

21. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Does anyone believe that a Superintendent would actually do this to a student -- single her out to devalue her? I mean, I know a teacher or a disciplinarian or sometimes a principal will do crap like that, but I don't see someone with so little student contact like a Super doing it.

It sounds more to me like somone poked their head in his office and said, "hey, you know that slacker b**** that never shows up -- y'know, the one with the judge dad who threatens to sue us for everything? Yeah, she's about to get valedictorian and some people are pretty upset,"

...and he decided to cause as few waves as possible with the girl and her daddy by doing the co-valedictorian thing. Oh well, some people are never happy.

22. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The students were in her classes. They were "fellow" honor roll AP students. I'd take them a little more seriously than cheerleader gossip.

High schools are not under the same type of supervision or government control as State colleges. They're run by local school boards. Things are arbitrary from local district to district.

---

I hope not only that she gets booed but that the entire student body walks out or turns their back on her as she speaks at graduation.

23. macrumors 6502

24. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

UCD gets no state funding? I would presume a state authority would have control over the disability accomodations being met, if not, then much like high schools, it's a hit-and-miss locally controlled sort of thing and just because UCD has problems with compliance doesn't mean a high school in NJ will.

25. macrumors 6502

If you wer familiar with the college system here in california you would realize that we have a three tiered system, the lowest being JC (junior college) then CSU then UC. So yes the UC gets state funding, Although it is like 25% of the uc budget and california is cutting $300million from that. And the disablitity accomodations are assigned by the UCD disability coordinator, who give very little in the way of accomodations.
    The authority in disability claims is actually a fedral one though, as most claims are under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Our current administration us seeing that the ADA is dismantled. We wouldnt want companies hindered by pesky little guidlines, only individual people (by that I mean individuals that do not have loads of money).