student suspended over use of php

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by clubmedia, Jul 10, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

2. job macrumors 68040

job

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think this should have been posted in the Community section, as I think this happens to do more with zero tolerance and general security around the buildings.

But, yeah, one wrong move around these types of laws and you're finished. No graduation (I think), no scholarship, not even scholarsh!t. About a month or two ago a student came back from a camping trip with (I think two) knives in the back of his truck, for JUST his camping trip. He forgot to put them away after he was caught on educational grounds, that have adopted the Zero-T enforcements. The poor kid had a scholarship ready for his graduation, but he was denied it, all because of some stupid knives for a camping trip. Now the poor kid and mother can't afford college, as they NEEDED the scholarship.

I think this rule needs some reorganization. For something like that it really is stupid. I agree that it reduces the risk of possible attacks on some property, etc., but (1) it doesn't reduce the risk completely and (2) the rule sometimes accuses the wrong people.

Personally, I don't like the Zero-T law, but if it is going to be enforced on a lot of these buildings I can adopt.

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

what the??....

when i started reading that article i thought PHP was a drug! i'd never heard of it before.:rolleyes:

so why exactly did the kid get in trouble for it? i don't understand. and what is this zero tolerance thing? is this something new in US schools? here the schools are very tolerant. you can even throw a desk down at a teachers feet and just be sent to the principal.

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Zero tolerance basically means that if you do something, say something or have something that is credible enough to be taken as a threat you will be suspended, along with various penalties. You can be penalized if you have any knives/weapons with you, or if you say anything from as extreme as "All you mother:eek:ers die! I'm gonna kill you!" to "Don't come near me, I don't want to talk with you." As long as it's credible enough for a threat there will be punishments dealt out, whether you meant it or not.

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

isn't that i bit severe? shouldn't they at least check to see if it was reallly serious?

and i still don't see why that kid got in trouble for using PHP. what is so wrong with that?:confused:

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

8. ponyboy macrumors regular

9. oddfuzz macrumors member

Come on people....

Can anybody say SATIRE!?!?!?!

10. Eliot macrumors member

I'm sorry to have to point this out, but y'all wit the exception of my 2 esteemed predecessors on this thread are some of the ******* ***** it has ever been my misfortune to share a thread with.
    RTFWebsite.:p :p :p :p

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(cb911) isn't that i bit severe? shouldn't they at least check to see if it was reallly serious?
    It is severe. I think it goes much too far. Eventually people will be watching how you blink, and if you start blinking in Morris Code for 10 seconds you will be considered a threat to how people speak. Give me a :eek:ing break!

As for PHP scripts, if he is getting these scripts to work, he could be sending private/personal information to other, regarding anything from simple notes for class, to a special code only a few people know, which may be considered a plot.

Apparently, these teachers have to look out for the worst, which I think is really stupid. It's like every teacher is a walking spy camera, and records all the information that could be considered credible for a threat.

12. Eliot macrumors member

Ah, thank God, KC appears to have the grip. We recent ex-newbs depend on the older(younger) heads for wisdom, not major-league b*llsups. Still, you should be administering beatings for this, not being subtle, IMHO.

As the man says, one, two, three, after me:

Irony, satire, irony, satire, irony etc. etc. etc.

13. ponyboy macrumors regular

did you even read the article it had nothing to do with what you are talking about . It was a Joke. Nobody was suspended. There were no sniffing dogs, come on people

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm so glad they put the comment on the very bottom of the page in small print...I did not see that the first time around.

But, if it was real, I would have mentioned all this. As for it being a satire, it wasn't funny. And news isn't supposed to be funny (with a few exceptions). So I thought it was real.

Just remind me to look through not just the fake passage, but also the text on the bottom, even if you need a mag. glass to see it.

15. Eliot macrumors member

Oh God, and I thought he was being subtle........
    Where was this site EVER anything other than a p*sstake from one end to the other?
    Quis custodet?

KC, KC, KC................my faith is in ruins................
    :eek:

16. King Cobra macrumors 603

Hey, Eliot, before you turn your twisted F'ed up humor into a poetry lesson, get something straight. I had NO IDEA it was a fake. The story lines seemed perfectly accurate. All you had to do was tell me to take note of it, instead of making all these stupid, arrogant comments: "my faith is in ruins................", "and I thought he was being subtle........" Wise up, moron. Take your jackash comments to the cockiness department.

17. Eliot macrumors member

Ooh, ahh.
    I was being ironic!
    You know the saying about the boot being on the other foot?
    Or do I detect a sense of humor-failure here?

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

>Ooh, ahh.
    I was being ironic!
    WTH are all these "ooh"s and "ahh"s for?

>You know the saying about the boot being on the other foot?
    Arrogance and emotional irony awards the foot comforter?

>Or do I detect a sense of humor-failure here?
    So you consider missing the passage at the bottom of the page humor-failure? What do you consider your emotional ironic comments?

19. Eliot macrumors member

Before you get your knickers in a twist, it was all meant kindly.
    Chill, before I laugh so hard I rupture myself:) :D :D :D

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

holy cow... that went on for a while before being acknowledged as a joke.......

and if it was real, the point was that the people thought php was a drug, not that he was using php programming for some harmful purposes.... wow.

21. King Cobra macrumors 603

jello, I followed the link in the last paragraph, and the site happens to deal with scripts, not drugs.

Eliot, well done on making a jackash out of both of us! What a character. :cool:

22. job macrumors 68040

job

I knew it was a joke, and I thought it was funny too. :D

23. ponyboy macrumors regular

Eliot next time after being ironic say that you were in small type at the bottom and then PM KC to make sure he reads it that way we can all avoid the bruised ego comebacks.