Student Teacher Edition of Office

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irain, Aug 26, 2006.

1. irain macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2005
    Is it alright to let a family member use one of the product keys that came with the student teacher edition of MS Office?
  2. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    technically, no. one product key per installation of the software is the rule.

HOWEVER, i have never had problems doing this (i've done it maybe thrice). this is because microsoft allows you to install the same software on up to two computers that the purchaser (aka user aka you) uses.

as far as using the software: it should work fine and won't stop working or uninstall itself after a period of use.
  3. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    I think irain is asking if it's legal for another member of his/her family to use one of the three codes that comes with his/her Office for Mac Student and Teacher's edition.

I haven't read the EULA, but I'm sure it's not legal to reuse a key even yourself. As for another member of the family, my wife, who is a member of the academic staff in UC Berkeley, has this Office for Mac, and I'm using one of keys from it on this iMac.

Of course, technically she owns this iMac and the MacBook that is using another one of the keys.

Either way, MS isn't going to find out and sue you.
  4. irain thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2005
    Actually, I have three product keys (Student teachr edition). Does that mean it is okay? I'm not using each ket more than once.
  5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Yes, the license specifically allows family members at the same residence to use the other keys.