Student versions of software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ToddW, Jul 23, 2004.

1. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Since I am technically still a student, i thought it might be cool to get some student versions of some software, example studio mx. I already have to get matlab for osx, and also office. I know i can get office at compusa.

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

just keep in mind that you cannot make money with the student licensed software. it's only for your personal use, and to learn the software.

(i would prefer if they called those licenses a "home edition" rather than academic. there's a lot home users who use illegal software because they cannot afford the full "business edition" license. naturally, software houses are afraid of making such a diversion, because they think they would lose a lot of money. i however think that they would get more...)

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

I have the student version of MATLAB. The only thing about that is, you have to have the CD inside to start it. And you can't burn a disk image or anything. Other than that, its great.

cheers

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

did you try apple's edu store? sometimes they list a discount over the full price for students.

5. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if MS Office Student & Teacher Edition has anything more/less than the normal one, or is it the same, with a different box and lower price? (and yes, I legally qualify to get it)

6. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Student & Teacher Edition is exactly the same as the standard edition (no Virtual PC) but it has a license for three computers.

7. GovornorPhatt macrumors regular

You can buy educational pricing from most software manufactuars. I use a R4 affadavit registering my household as a private school. I can get discount pricing that way. The same goes for students. I own Macromedia, Photoshop CS, Final Cut Pro, and more in student editions. Microsoft office student edition is a great value by the way.

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

goto your student bookstore on campus. you should be able to get all the student discount there. if you are lucky enough to attend a university that has a microsoft partnership or whatever the hell they call it, you can office X for $6 :)

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

We have that (Academic Alliance) but we can't get Office :( Everything else is free though :D (just supply a CD-R)