Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
Since I am technically still a student, i thought it might be cool to get some student versions of some software, example studio mx. I already have to get matlab for osx, and also office. I know i can get office at compusa.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
just keep in mind that you cannot make money with the student licensed software. it's only for your personal use, and to learn the software.

(i would prefer if they called those licenses a "home edition" rather than academic. there's a lot home users who use illegal software because they cannot afford the full "business edition" license. naturally, software houses are afraid of making such a diversion, because they think they would lose a lot of money. i however think that they would get more...)

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
ToddW said:
Since I am technically still a student, i thought it might be cool to get some student versions of some software, example studio mx. I already have to get matlab for osx, and also office. I know i can get office at compusa.
I have the student version of MATLAB. The only thing about that is, you have to have the CD inside to start it. And you can't burn a disk image or anything. Other than that, its great.

cheers

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
Does anyone know if MS Office Student & Teacher Edition has anything more/less than the normal one, or is it the same, with a different box and lower price? (and yes, I legally qualify to get it)

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
You can buy educational pricing from most software manufactuars. I use a R4 affadavit registering my household as a private school. I can get discount pricing that way. The same goes for students. I own Macromedia, Photoshop CS, Final Cut Pro, and more in student editions. Microsoft office student edition is a great value by the way.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
ToddW said:

goto your student bookstore on campus. you should be able to get all the student discount there. if you are lucky enough to attend a university that has a microsoft partnership or whatever the hell they call it, you can office X for $6 :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
superbovine said:
if you are lucky enough to attend a university that has a microsoft partnership or whatever the hell they call it, you can office X for $6 :)

We have that (Academic Alliance) but we can't get Office :( Everything else is free though :D (just supply a CD-R)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.