Student vs. Educator Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SRSound, Jun 12, 2005.

1. SRSound macrumors 6502

I recently heard that there was a difference in the educational discount if you're a student or a teacher/educator - specifically that the teacher/educator's was greater then the student's. Is there any truth to that?

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

that would be news to me, but I could see that. It could be that schools and institutions get a bigger discount for buying in bulk, perhaps? :confused:

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Well me being a university student and my wife being faculty I can tell you there is no difference in the discount.

What happens though is that Apple will give teachers a special "discount" for their personal computer if they buy a classroom full of computers. Also schools that switch to Apple in the classroom may also get a special discount.

4. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

In the UK there are a range of Apple prices_

1. The standard price
    2. The student and teacher price - equivalent to 5-9% discount, depending on which bit of kit you're talking about.
    3. The NUS student price (NUS = National Union of Students), which is just a bit better than 2 above, ie around 6 to 10%.
    4. The price that schools and colleges pay for Apple equipment. Not sure, but I think this is the same as 3 above, but obviously without the 17.5% VAT.
    5. I think there is also a different price structure for businesses, but I've never looked into this.

As far as I know, Apple only discount their own hardware and software, so a student would pay the same price as anyone else for, say, a Kensington mouse or Wacom tablet.

5. SRSound thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I tried making the apple online store think I was a teacher instead of a student and the prices were identical. Oh well

6. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

From my experiences, there is no difference. The only way I can see the teacher/educator getting a bigger discount is if the there is a bulk purchase like skubish posted and/or the computer will be used "at work" like in an office. Of course, the latter can get a little murky with laptops.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What is strange is that Federal Employee Program has some better pricing than the EDU pricing