Student vs. Educator Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SRSound, Jun 12, 2005.

1. SRSound macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2005
    I recently heard that there was a difference in the educational discount if you're a student or a teacher/educator - specifically that the teacher/educator's was greater then the student's. Is there any truth to that?
  2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    that would be news to me, but I could see that. It could be that schools and institutions get a bigger discount for buying in bulk, perhaps? :confused:
  3. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Well me being a university student and my wife being faculty I can tell you there is no difference in the discount.

What happens though is that Apple will give teachers a special "discount" for their personal computer if they buy a classroom full of computers. Also schools that switch to Apple in the classroom may also get a special discount.
  4. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    In the UK there are a range of Apple prices_

1. The standard price
    2. The student and teacher price - equivalent to 5-9% discount, depending on which bit of kit you're talking about.
    3. The NUS student price (NUS = National Union of Students), which is just a bit better than 2 above, ie around 6 to 10%.
    4. The price that schools and colleges pay for Apple equipment. Not sure, but I think this is the same as 3 above, but obviously without the 17.5% VAT.
    5. I think there is also a different price structure for businesses, but I've never looked into this.

As far as I know, Apple only discount their own hardware and software, so a student would pay the same price as anyone else for, say, a Kensington mouse or Wacom tablet.
  5. SRSound thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2005
    Yeah, I tried making the apple online store think I was a teacher instead of a student and the prices were identical. Oh well
  6. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    From my experiences, there is no difference. The only way I can see the teacher/educator getting a bigger discount is if the there is a bulk purchase like skubish posted and/or the computer will be used "at work" like in an office. Of course, the latter can get a little murky with laptops.
  7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    What is strange is that Federal Employee Program has some better pricing than the EDU pricing