Student Vs. Standard Versions of MS Office for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CowboyTurbo, Dec 9, 2005.

1. CowboyTurbo macrumors member

like the title~ any difference between Teacher/Student version of MS-Office verse the Standard Edition? The guy at the store said they were the same exact thing except for the price, but wondering if some of the more advanced functions of the programs might be different?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The applications you get - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage and MSN Messenger - are identical.

What is different is the license - there are restrictions you agree to in exchange for the lower cost.

1) You are not eligable for upgrades -- if you want Office 2006 or whatever, you will have to buy the full version, not the lower cost upgrade version.
    2) You must be a student, teacher, or parent of a student
    3) You are not allowed to resell or give away the program if you don't need it anymore -- even to another student. The license is yours only and cannot be transferred.
    4) you may install it on up to three machines in your household.

3. thomasp macrumors 6502a

The software is identical (same templates, everything), apart from the points CanadaRAM mentioned above.

The student version is about 1/3 the price of the full version, but you can't upgrade it. However, you can install it legally on up to 3 computers. I believe the standard version can only be installed on 1.

I'm not sure about this one, but I think it only has to be installed on one computer that is being used by a student/parent of a student/teacher - the other two licenses it doesn't matter. It'd be good if we could find out the answer for this :)

4. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Your question got already answered I believe. I just want to let you know that I cam across this and if you are going to purchase a new mac or recently have purchased a new mac take a look at this.

Link

5. CowboyTurbo thread starter macrumors member

thanx, I have a copy of the rebate too. I just picked up a PB too and also bought a copy of the Student/Teacher edition (from 3rd party computer store) of office today. I haven't opened it yet though. I'm no longer in school, don't have kids, and don't teach... the rebate should still be valid, yeah?

6. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Well I guess not, if you don't qualify for the licence in the first place. Did you not have to prove educational status to get the software?

7. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I would just return the version you have and pick up the Standard edition instead. With the Coupon you get 50% off, that means that you pay about 150 Bucks for the standard version to me that is a pretty good deal on the whole office suite rather than paying for a somewhat illegal license.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

> I just picked up a PB too and also bought a copy of the Student/Teacher edition (from 3rd party computer store) of office today.

From the rebate coupon

"The Apple computer and a qualified version of Microsoft Office must be purchased on the same invoice or sales receipt."

So unless you got the Mac and the software from the same store, at the same time, you're pooched.
    You'll have to return the software, take the Mac bac to the dealer, and ask them to refund then reinvoice you for the Mac and the software together.

9. CowboyTurbo thread starter macrumors member

geez, who the heck actually reads the fine print on rebates prior to purchase? apparently I don't... :mad: and no, the people at Microcenter didn't ask for nothing except for my money when I took the Student/Teacher edition right off the shelf...

10. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

yeah, the Retail Apple Stores are not required to check for student/teacher identification for selling that version, so the stores always push that one on you just because it is cheaper. Its also a better deal, because I can install it on all 3 of my macs legally, and it wont yell at me about licenses.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I can assure you the rebate CLAIM CENTRE knows every bit of the fine print front and back and will disallow your rebate if a single letter isn't complied with, this is how they make their profit...

12. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I do not doubt for a moment that claims are routinely denied for any deviation from the stated requirements, but there are Apple Store employees who are either misinformed or disingenuous concerning the Student Version of MS Office.

I inquired about the package at the Soho store recently and was told by two employees that the special price was available to anyone. I made it clear that I was not a teacher, student or parent of any student and they still said it was not a problem. No mention was made of any special waiver of the rules for a given promotional period.

13. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, pretty much anyone can purchase the boxed version of Office Student Teacher Edition. However, there is one little nitpicky issue that has not yet been mentioned regarding it. As with all educational software, especially the case with Microsoft stuff, it is a violation of the licence agreement to sell any products made with an educational version of Office, whether it is the boxed Student Teacher edition, the Higher Education version of Standard, or any Microsoft Select version. For the record, it's pretty easy to check which version a document was made with, and Microsoft would be happy to add another lawsuit to the pile just to take some more of your money.

14. Terwal macrumors regular

But in terms of capabilities and functionalities (for specifically for Excel: macros ? VBA ?,...): no differences between the Student and the Standard editions ?

15. Phil A. Contributor

Phil A.

If you're talking about the Home and Student edition of 2008, then the only difference (apart from licensing) is that Entourage doesn't include Exchange connectivity (although it may work with IMAP). Also, it's worth noting that no versions of Office 2008 have VBA support in them

16. Terwal macrumors regular

Phil, 2 interesting points you are raising:

1. the 2008 is Home and Student ? Therefore I guess the discussion above regarding "student" eligibility is irrelevant and everybody can buy it as long as we don't use it for business purpose ? Any new restrictions for the 2008 license ?

2. VBA support: does this mean that if I have spreadsheets at work which embed some VBA macros, I will not be able to use those macros on my Mac ?

Thanks...

w.

17. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

First of all, congratulations: Your skills in thread necromancy are much to be admired!

1) The various editions of the 2008 version of Office are distributed differently than those of the 2004 version were.

In 2004, there was a Standard edition meant for general purpose home and small office use. Then there was a Student/Teacher edition which was basically 100% identical to the Standard Edition in terms of functionality, but with different licensing terms and preferential pricing for academic use. Finally there was the Pro edition with additional features (most notably Virtual PC - which became useless with the advent of Intel-based Macs).

In the 2008 version, there is the Home and Student edition, which replaces both the former Student/Teacher edition, and the home user base of the former Standard edition. It consists of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Entourage. The 2008 Home and Student version is not intended for use in a commercial environment.

Then there's the new Standard edition, which takes on the largest part of the small and large office user base of the former Standard and Pro editions. It offers different functionality in terms of Exchange support within Entourage, and some templates for integrating with Automator in all applications.

Finally, there's the Special Media edition, which is identical to the Standard edition, but also adds an additional component, Microsoft Expression Media.

2) Correct. The rumour is that VBA is on its way out on the PC side as well, but they managed to give it one more kick at the can in Office for Windows 2007. However, they did not include it in Office for Mac 2008. Of course, basic mathematic and logical formulae embedded within cells, and referencing other cells and/or worksheets will still function in Excel as always.