Students Call for Banning of Peace Studies Class

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Feb 27, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

what would a less-biased viewpoint in a peace class be? maybe some pro-war arguments being made in peace class?

perhaps we should let the Flat Earth Society provide an alternate viewpoint for all astronomy and geography courses.

or have KKK month to balance out Black History month.

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

there are other than obvious views and methods to gain "peace". i.e. Overwhelming arms buildup by one side to hinder or stop an aggressive border nation.
    While "Peace" should be the goal, I wonder if it is possible in the world as it is today. From the obvious US and Mid East relationship, to those of warring fractions in Africa, I wonder if "Peace" is a journey not a destination.

I hope I'm wrong.

There are no easy scenarios. From Regans buildup leading to the breakup of USSR, and then that destabilzation gave us problems from Kosovo to XXX'stan. Is it still part of the inevitable journey to peace and understanding, or the universe tending toward chaos?

Not having taken the class, I can't say if it is a Chamberlain train wreck, or a journey to utopia. Either way, opposing views, I would hope, would be welcome. Isn't that part of expressing ourselves? Part of free speach, education, and all that we should embrace!

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Reagan was not responsible for the downfall of the Soviet Union or the Warsaw Pact countries. The responsibility lies with unviable economic policies.

Free speech is all well and good but if the student is not taking the class and the class is evidently not mandatory, then why the outrage? He has every right to voice his opinion, but if he's unwilling to take part in the class or even have a discussion with the teacher about it before ranting on a discussion forum, I have to question his motives.

As far as whether world peace is possible, I doubt it but that doesn't mean we can't shoot for regional peace. Tribalism is the root cause of most wars. The Balkans are a great case to study and it doesn't take a lot to realize that the bitter dissolution of Yugoslavia could have been made a lot sweeter if peaceful discourse had been encouraged by the world community. Arming the Bosniaks or the Albanian Kosovars wouldn't have done anything to encourage peace.

Let's hope that this kid's fellow and future students get a chance to study peace with an open mind. It wasn't that long ago that it was thought peace could only be maintained through war. That's never gotten us anywhere.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What do you want to bet those who are against this call themselves Christians? Because we all know Jesus was against peace and love and all that other hippy stuff, and was a lover of violence. I'm sure he would have hated this class and it's "activist liberal" teacher. Especially telling is the fact that the person who started this doesn't even take the class. Not that I'm saying there aren't good reasons for war, such as self defense against aggression, but I gather from what the teacher says that these things are discussed openly.

He should just change the name to Jesus class and keep talking about peace.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I just want to know how you name a high school after the guy from "Fletch"??

6. tristan macrumors 6502a

I guess I should post something since I'm from Bethesda. Average household income, $99k. More graduate degrees per capita than anywhere else. (48% of the population.)

Anyway, is the course required? No? Then who cares?

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Agreed. Peace is attainable through many methods. Chinese and Tibetan Monks do it by studying martial arts, and life, and energy.

Unfortuantely, the ways of monks cannot translate to everyone else in the world. It's a little crass for me to say this, but to achieve true peace the world would have to be rid of humans.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The right wing culture police. It is currently politically incorrect to talk about peace. Anyone who does has to be shown the pointy part of the boot.

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

That was my thought too. Assuming it's an elective, just don't take the class. God knows this won't be the last goofy elective class that they're offered before they finish their college education. :rolleyes:

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't the US military academies teach (publicly-funded) classes on war strategy and theory? Should we force them to balance -- or eliminate -- their curriculum as well? :confused:

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This student is ridiculous. DON"T TAKE THE CLASS. Why should others not be able to if they so choose? But hey- they're telling science classes to teach religion, so why not? :mad:

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was hoping you were being ironic, but then I saw that you're from Australia.

Chevy Chase has been a town in the state of Maryland for quite a while longer than it has been a comedian of the same name. If I'm not mistaken, it's quite upscale.

On the topic subject itself, I can only echo zimv's remarks. The article reads quite a bit like self-parody, and would look right at home in "The Onion". Are these people so unaware of how foolish they look?

BTW: I'm against math. I want math classes removed from all schools. ;) :D

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The article a little light on details, what exactly is being taught?

Is it going to get to the point where Economics classes are going to get attacked for being too pro-capitalist and not giving equal time to communism?

The whole idea of "liberal professors" hijacking the the education system is about as relevant as the war on christmas.

I would like to know more about what is actually being taught in this class though, and what exactly it is these students are offended by.

All it takes is an accusation these days.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

yeah, I'm curious about what is taught in this class as well.

Hmmm... if only I could get my hands on a syllabus :).

e

15. tristan macrumors 6502a

Per the article, it is an elective for seniors.

16. szark macrumors 68030

szark

From the school's website:

Still a pretty vague description.

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Nice one! yes Christians are the bane of the world, gotta love those satanists, muslims, jews, agnostics, athiests, and apple/mac lovers.

and ugg, part of the reason the ussr fell when they did, was the burden of the arms race. plenty there to read about it. it would have fallen sooner or later regardless, just some out there that believe it happened when it did (sooner rather than later) because of the regan arms policy (no not the one in central amercia). Sorry too tired for a link, shot me.

I have no problem with this class, only hope that opposing views as to the means of achieving peace are in the discussion. Walking hand in hand with daisies is one method, not always the most effective. But effective sometimes. How about a class about other issues, like history, social studies, and ....., they may have some insight to peace too. I took an elective in college on Art History (easy A). So let those who want this easy A get it too. But if it can not stand against a small challenge then maybe there is no merit for it to begin with.

Good night all, from NS Norfolk, doing my 2 week Navy Reserve Duty, after all, a strong military is a method of maintaining if not achieving peace.

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

reads a lot like my school's class discriptions.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's pretty clear from the brief description of the syllabus that the class is geared towards non-violent means of achieving peace. I can't honestly see how anyone would think that's subversive or the need to introduce how peace can be achieved through violence. There are a lot of good examples from Gandhi to King, I think it's laudable that peacemakers should be given their own forum to counteract that of the neocons.

The kid obviously made up his mind based on previously held views. In other words, it seems that he believes that waging war is more important than waging peace. I hardly see how that could be a small challenge or even relevant. What most likely has no merit is the student's challenge of something he knows nothing about. We grow stronger through our knowledge, not our ignorance.

As far as Reagan and the USSR are concerned, we'll have to agree to disagree. Just like bushco attempted to pin WMD on the paper tiger, SH, so did reagan use his knowledge of the imminent and inevitable downfall of the Soviet Union to appear that he and he alone was responsible. The arms race was over by the time Reagan appeared on the scene and his star wars initiative is only proof of that.

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I was being ironic...:D I know there's a town called Chevy Chase, I was just being a smartarse.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Fundamentalists like this guy, yeah pretty much. They make the rest of us look bad. What, you didn't know I was a spiritual person? I'm not bashing the guy because he's Christian, I'm bashing him because he's a hypocrite. As I mentioned, war is sometimes justifiable, but there's nothing wrong with looking toward a peaceful solution. It bugs me that a guy who isn't even in the class is complaining about it.

22. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

If it's anything like any other high school in America, the kids just sit there and (possibly) take notes. I think the teacher said he wished they would discuss the issues. Get involved in the discussion and have something to back it up with, then the class will be interesting.

23. tristan macrumors 6502a

FYI BCC would probably qualify as one of the best schools in the country based on SAT scores, etc. The students are kids of doctors, lawyers, diplomats, etc.

24. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

What's more worrisome to me than this student who's against teaching peace is the blurb about how there is a growing movement that believes schools are too liberal and need to be balanced. If you'll recall, the media was accused of this recently and caved in completely. Now they give equal time to Rovian propaganda and straight-up lies in order to be more "balanced". I don't want the school system to be "balanced" like the media is.

25. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

BCC? Oy - what a silly little school for silly little kids whose parents think they will be more cultured than if they went to Sidwell Friends or Georgetown Prep.

I see a point in wanting to diversify the class. If you want to offer a class on "peace studies" it really is better to have various viewpoints on the implementation of peace (yes, i just repeated half the posts here). I don't see any difference between this and offering a class on the civil war and not offering both a northern and southern viewpoint (a whole other topic - the war was more about federalism than slavery...).

By the way, I went to Blair. I'd love to see most of those prissy little brats survive for a day in our old building...