Students drinking less soda? (or pop, or whatever you call it)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stampyhead, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/12/02/school.soda.ap/index.html
    This article is deceptively positive however:
    Those sports drinks are just as bad as pop. Basically the only difference is that they are not carbonated and they have salt in them. They are still full of high fructose corn syrup, which is the major problem with soft drinks. I won't optimistic until the bottled water numbers (and maybe juice too) go up and all of the others go down (which will be never).

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno about the US but in the UK health drinks really seem to be picking up. at least from the guys I meet at MMU. Innocent, Feel Good inc. and just plain mineral water seems to be drink of choice when not in pubs, seemingly.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I usually only have water, but today I had 7 cups of tea.

YUMMM!!!!

but it had so much caffeine (I DID have 7 cups...) that my hands were shaky...
    so then I had more tea.

BLACKBERRY SAGE! SO MUCH GOODNESS!!!

I'm probably an anomaly (omg.. a US teen using the word "anomaly" ?)... I've never done most of the "standard teenage stuff." IE getting drunk, high, gettin' it on..
    I'm the good one! Gosh dernit!

I drink almost a gallon and a half of water a day! HAA! any soda is on top of that, so I'm usually not thirsty enough to drink it. :p

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I drink 2 glasses of milk, 2 glasses of unsweetened iced tea and 1 glass of orange juice each day. No soda ever. Maybe I'm weird. :rolleyes:

5. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

At my school they only sell sports drinks, iced tea, and juice. They have soda but the machines only let you buy stuff after school closes.
    I prefer juice and tea to soda.

6. aquajet macrumors 68020

Nah, you're not weird. That's similar to what I drink everyday. Soda's bad for you...I stopped years ago.

7. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Here in Australia we call it "soft drink". Perhaps kids need to drink a little more of it I think the lack of sugar in their lives is the reason why they're so inanimate. :p

8. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Wait, Feel Good Inc. means something other than the Gorillaz song?

*waits for rain of fire from United Kingdom for not knowing what Feel Good Inc is*

9. mpw Guest

As a teenager I didn't drink(until my stag-do at 25yrs), get high(much) or 'get it on'(enough) either.

Trust me you're missing out.

Obviously you don't want to go out and get so drunk you're puking in fountains every night or do drugs so much it screws you up but everything in moderation makes for a great life. As for 'getting it on' as long as you're careful and go into it with your eyes wide open you really can't get enough.

Take the word of someone older and wiser don't hang about to start living your life.

Oh, and travel as much as you can. I know you're going to Vienna and I hope you get to see a bit of Europe while you're here, take a week off in France and drink red wine in the sun all afternoon before hitting a club for the night.

10. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Thats what we call it in the US too

11. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Yeah I'm drinking less pop. But then again, I'm consuming 5x more beer. :D

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i've found myself drinking less soda and more energy drinks, like bawls or monster. a bottle of bawls (10oz) has 500mg of caffeine--about 4 cups of american coffee. other things like red bull, rockstar, or monster don't have as much but they have other stuff like guarana and taurine. XD much more efficient :p

13. iHateWindows macrumors 6502

I'm drinking more soda than ever! I think I had something like 2 20oz bottles of Diet Coke and 1 12oz can of Diet 7up today.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple Juce, Orange juice, sweetened ice tea, energy drinks, health drinks -- they all have by and large the same sugar content as soda, sometimes it just is different forms (fructose instead of glucose-fructose or sucrose, and pure crystallized cane juice in health drinks = granulated sugar) ... don't fool yourself that switching from sweetened soda to 'natural' juices will make you less fat - the caloric content is roughly the same. The beneficials in Apple Juice are negligable, Orange juice only a little better.

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

My students don't drink soda in school, but there are ades all around.

I don't care what they drink. If they'd stop trying to beat the crap out of each other, that would be nice.

Can you believe people are shooting at school buses in Hartford now? And then the kids are expected to sit down and learn Shakespeare.

If I were getting shot at on my way to work, I wouldn't be focused on teaching Shakespeare, that's for sure.

But Powerade. Yeah. There's a lot of that.

16. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I had my fist 20oz soda in about a year (it was free). I usually drink those Kern's drinks (one a day). A can of soda last a couple of hours.

17. xy14 macrumors 6502

xy14

When I go to school everyday, I normally buy:

a bottled water ($1.25) before 1st hour, and drink it until the end of third hour

another bottled water ($1.25) during lunch (during lunch, in 4th hour) and normally have some left when i get home.

I have only purchased one soda this year from school, a diet pepsi, because water was out and i was thirsty.

Other things I buy during the day that are questionable:
    Before school, I sometimes get a chocolate creme-filled long john for 75¢.
    During lunch, I sometimes buy a sugar cookie for 50¢.

Effectively, I can spend up to $3.75 a day on junk food!

$18.75 per week!
    $75 per month
    $675 per school year!
    AKA a Mac Mini and a 2gb nano!

18. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yep, unfortunately you are right. When we juice an orange (or any other fruit) we throw away the part that is good for us and are left with what is essentially sugar water. Although orange juice is good stuff, one is better off just eating an orange.

19. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

why don't you just refill the bottle between 3rd period and lunch? that'd save you $6.25 a week, or $225 a year. that covers the ipod nano. if you invest in a reusable water bottle, that's another $6.25 per week.
    i can understand buying 2 sodas every day, but buying another bottle of water when you could just as easily fill that bottle from the tap just doesn't make sense to me...:eek:

20. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I to wondered about that. I always reuse the water bottles. Since we are lucky to have drinkable water why not use it. I just don't really understand paying for water every-time and wasting a bottle in the process.

21. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Mineral Water, in the US anyway, has just as much sugar as soda.

I stick to water...i don't really want diabetes when i get older

22. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

where do you buy your mineral water?

23. CompUser Guest

I hate soda and never have. I guess thats a good thing.

My school does not sell soda. They have milk, juice boxes, water, flavored water (yuk), mineral water, gatorade and lemonade.

24. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

I love those Monster drinks. None of the other energy drinks taste good at all (Red Bull is ok I'll admit). I'm addicted to Tab so my soda intake is up and my coffee intake is down a bit.

I tend to do this in cycles where I'll drink soda/coffee regularly then switch entirely over to tea. Oh well.
    :rolleyes:

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I used to drink at least 6 cans of regular sodas until I decided it was unhealthy to guzzle down a 20oz soda before the gym and then 20oz after. I could easily do 4-5 super big gulps (44oz soda) from 7-11 in a day during summer. Water used to make my stomach hurt. I went to a doctor and he said it was the lack of caf I had in my system that was making me feel that way and to switch to diet and try to limit to 20oz a day. Turns out that worked and I actually rarely will drink a regular soda. First, I am counting calories and carbs. My first real soda of the week that I just drank is 200 calories and 50 carbs. I am of the school of thought that diet drinks are no better because it is manufactured food (sugars) and that you shouldn't use that stuff, but moderate the real sugars. However, if I am drinking diet at least it's not a calorie/carb thing. 200 calories x 6 cans (12oz) = 1200 calories, that is more than half my daily intake of calories allowed! That is sad. Not to mention the 16oz plastic cups of chocolate milk I would have. That alone was about 800 calories as well. And I ate...cottage cheese and fruit in the morning, two jello cups snack, a sandwich wrap @ lunch but then I'd have a vanilla shake....600 calories. It's bad bad bad.

Anyway, the point is, kids shouldn't have access to that much soda. I couldn't care less about the caffeine but it's the carbs and calories.