students..summer job stories

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, May 10, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what are your funniest summer job stories?

do you plan to get a job this summer?

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: students..summer job stories

What kind of summer jobs did you have?

3. job macrumors 68040

job

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i am going to be getting a summer job, my 1st real job actually, at a local grocery store. only one who will hire here under 16

5. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

i've had 3 different jobs since i turned 16.

1. busboy @ $3/hour + tips

2. retail @7.50/hour + commision

3. student computer consultant @ $10/hour

#1 and #2 i did for about a year each. #3 i'm going on 2 years.

it's sloooowly gettin better

6. vniow macrumors G4

Probably not going to go searching for a job again until I get back from visiting some people halfway across the country come the end of June.

Won't do much good to get a job only to have to leave it for at least two weeks..

With any luck I won't be coming back....

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You aren't referring to this Froum I trust! :confused:

8. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

hehe - i got some amazing ones!!

One summer i did a load of temping - i worked in a few places then:

Cardboard box factory - i made incredibly large boxes for supercomputers - got some evil papercuts and nasty burns from industrial glue guns. Worked with a load of yetis who didn't know much about anything. One guy had been there 4 years folding the same boxes for Gateway comps.

Europharm - i took internationally imported drugs (legal ones) out of their packaging, put them in a different box and put a sticker on them. I did about 1500 pill boxes a day!

L'hampton book company - I took books out of boxes and put them in other boxes

Last summer i was doing Customer Services in one of the UK's largest chains of electronics retail stores - Comet (i think you have them in the states). It was an amazing job - got to sort out loads of really complicated customer issues. Ok, i got shouted at by angry customers all day long, but i got a hell of a lot out of it - really satisfying seeing a livid customer turn into a very happy one!! It's really taught me how to complain well. I was so good at the job that after being there for 2 months they were pressuring me to do their fast track management training - i'd be Customer Services manager in 6 months, sales manager in 18 months, store manager in 3 years and then in my 5th year i'd be a regional manager! I declined and got back on with my degree. Still working on it and wondering how things would've turned out if i'd taken the job.

Did one summer working for a web company too - got some great experience (and software). Also the first time i used a mac! That was inbetween high school and 6th form (age 16).

I have a friend who worked on a sewage farm - this is true: they had a whole vat full of sweetcorn that they have to filter out of the poop!!

This summer i'm hoping to freelance on some websites - got a load of offers for work at the moment, hoping they'll still be there when my exams are over. Hoping to buy an iPod at the end of it!

9. vniow macrumors G4

Nope, just Cali, I'll probably take a break from Macrumors for a couple weeks at the end of June though, hopefully get in touch with some people who I haven't talked to in awhile...[​IMG]

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I can't get a job anywhere, no one wants to hire a slightly skilled 16 year old...
    :(

11. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

its true. the discrimination against teenagers in and of its self is so horrible; its insane that willing teenagers who apply for jobs, are skilled and hard workers, can not get a true job. Teenagers should be a minority, a minority that you can list on the job app you have no reason to apply for. :(

12. herr_neumann macrumors 6502

herr_neumann

it isnt like the job market is great for us soon to be college grads. I was planning on working for six months to save up some cash and then grad school in the spring, but the jobs that are out their aren't the best. It looks like I have no chance on putting a few thousand away to make grad school a little less stressful and it is too late to start school in the fall. So I will probably be taking a crappy job, yeah!

As far as previous jobs go:

Worked for a cannery making sure you all would not die from conaminated food.

I worked one summer for a moving company in the bay. That was a very hard job, but I was entirly too tired to spend any money at the end of the day, so I had lots of cash at the end of the summer.

Other than that I have been working construction while in school and over the summers. I job that kills the body but pays well. Definatly a good college job if you can get it. You learn some respect for all those jobs you do not do after you get your degree and are not helpless when something breaks around the house.

13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: students..summer job stories

in the early 80s, i was once a yard person for a large hotel but usually i worked at a gift store during high school and college summers

on some occassions, i would do a class or two during summer...yuck:D

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Summer jobs... ah. I haven't had one of those since I started fulltime work right after high school!

I worked in a cemetary for three summers during HS, it paid for some of the tuition. That was interesting stuff. Did you know that you're not really "6 feet under?" It's more like 4. And there are sinkholes for the first month or so after you're in. Sometimes you get one where can see all the way down!

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope you have a nice time with your friends vinow! ;) Be sure to let us know before you are leaving? You will be missed! ;)

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: Re: Re: students..summer job stories

I worked one summer with the Miami Conservancy District. A fellow class mate and I from high school and college worked together. We cut grass along the Miami River keeping the levy mowed. We spent most of the summer walking side ways! :p It was in 1967.

17. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i got a gig as an actor for summer theatre exchange program in France. I got to go abroad in '99 and '01. They Frenchies came here the other summers. The project died this year, but i hope to travel back anyway.

18. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Re: students..summer job stories

wow,

you are older than me ;)

my earliest summer job was in 1978... i think before that, my parents let me slide and just be a kid and hang around...age 13 and earlier

19. dr_spudboy macrumors newbie

Only Ten Bucks?

To the one who only makes $10/hr as a computer consultant, in what depressed reigion of the planet do you live?

20. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

I've been working at a medium big computer company in my home town since I was 14 years old. Mainly in the summers, though. I've worked with graphic design and webdesign on Macs (of course) both at the company and as a freelancer. At OrgConsult (name of the company) I made 10$/hr the first year and now I make 20-25$/hr - same as my freelance project.

What's really sad is that I had a deal about working 10 weeks for OrgConsult this summer and doing some heavy server implementations related to their web etc., but three days ago I received a mail from the boss saying that there have been some delays about a much bigger project which is much more relevant for the whole company than my web project so they can't hire me this summer! And the work was worth about 8.500$... That means that there will be no new Mac on me this fall. :(

21. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Only Ten Bucks?

guess what?, in silicon valley, or the greater northern california area around it, there are tons of students who will work for that...for experience

while we were riding high several years ago, the crash left the region with tons of overqualified, but out of work techies from all over the world

in san jose, the percentage of cs and math/science/business master's degrees holders...at this point...are like other reigons with their regular degree holders in the same subject...almost everybody is scaling down and working below their capabilities

this forces the undergraduate and technical school students to take what may be left over...and ten dollars an hour in their field is better than nothing...in time, the pendulmn will swing back to center and wages and salaries across the board will go back up

with all the techie trained people who moved to san jose and the region, i wonder if that left a vacuum in other areas for techies?

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: students..summer job stories

Well I was born in 1948. I had my first summer job in 1966, after my senior year. I worked in a funeral home! We also did ambulance work.

23. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: students..summer job stories

i was born much later (1963)...he he...but my parents had a store and i know they made me do some slave work starting in the early 70s when i was around 10 or so, but i don't put that on my resume...it just confuses people

since they didn't like to handle certain aspects of their business...trash, dishes, mail, ups, windows, selling jewelry and antiques, and running and filling out bank deposits...i did that

even though i didn't actually officially work in a jewelry store or antique store, when i go shopping at places that specialize in those things, i know all the lines that the salspeople try to use on me and in many cases knew those line before they were born;)

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: students..summer job stories

I'm sure that knowledge comes in very handy. That way you are ahead of the game! ;)