Studio 60 Cancelled?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by beatsme, Oct 29, 2006.

1. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

link

you almost had to figure. Poor time slot wasn't helping it any (I kept forgetting it was on), plus the things that were supposed to be funny i.e. the fictional comedy sketches just weren't really funny

though I did like the glam look on Amanda Peet...very nice

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It was clear its days were numbered after the huge drop in viewers from week one to week two.

I like the show (though not nearly as well as The West Wing) and I'll keep watching it until it gets pulled, but I won't be heartbroken when it goes.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I really like the show but am secretly pleased it's being cut as that will open up another hour of time for me to do other, better things. Like work, sleep, or browse MR. ;)

4. Zeke macrumors 6502

Man, I really like this show. To be replaced by a freaking reality show! God, ironic enough that the last episode of Studio 60 had to do with getting rid of the crap reality shows in favor of interesting ones.

5. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

I too really liked the show and I'm pissed its going away. The fact that they are ordering ep's makes me think there wont be a DVD of the seasons remaining shows to look forward to either.

Damn. I really liked that show.

6. Zeke macrumors 6502

Why don't they consider moving it to another time slot so as not to directly compete with CSI:Miami. That's already got a pretty hefty following and so this show may gather some more viewers if there were any willing to take the chance on it.

7. beatsme thread starter macrumors 65816

beatsme

in the wake of NBC's budget cuts it's not too surprising. That show has to cost a fortune. We can only hope that some other more enterprising network might pick it up. Might be a good fit for ABC. It'd be great to see it on HBO or Showtime or something. Think about what they could do if the didn't have to worry about Standards and Practices at the typical network.

8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

meh, I've been stucking watching this show the last few weeks simply because I only have 4 channels, truthfully I won't miss it all. Even though I watched I honestly can't remember anything that entertaining about it.

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Drag...

Although the show feels like a typical Aaron Sorkin show (more specifically like a Sports Night redux), I found this show to be extremely entertaining.

I can't imagine why more people don't like it? Is it too fast? Too smart? Is the subject matter too esoteric? Studio 60 is a show I'm going to be sad to see go....especially if it's going to be replaced by another dipsh*t reality show.

Haven't reality TV shows run their course already?

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Crap... I really like this show. Now I suppose we'll get another hour of Deal or No Deal or Dateline NBC, two things which I never watch.

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

What did you like about it, i never could get in to it. It bored me beyond all belief. Oh come on now, you know you enjoy watch John Stossel (sp) bust pedophiles.

Ed

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You spelled Stossel correctly, BTW.

1. Matthew Perry. Can't get enough of him, ever since The Whole Nine Yards.
    2. Clever writing by Aaron Sorkin. I liked The West Wing but always approached it warily, since he'd add his particular political slant to everything. Studio 60 was less left-leaning, but still funny.
    3. I also really like Bradley Whitford, Sarah Paulson, and Timothy Busfield.

I hate when they replace intelligent TV with drek. Studio 60 will be replaced by drek, I guarantee it.

13. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Granted.

I didn't really like the show when I watched it- although I thought it got great reviews. I thought that it was just "trying too hard" to not be "drek". It seems to me, at least, that they tried to isolate themselves from a lot of the potential viewing audience just so that they would be considered a good show. I also thought it was a little self-important...it's just a show about SNL essentially. It can't be that interesting behind the scenes...

And yes, all John Stossel does on Dateline NBC is bust pedophiles. My sister and I noticed this a couple weeks ago. While it's a good thing that these people get arrested and the problem is brought to our consciousness it just gets repetitive.

14. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

That's curious because John Stossel works for ABC.

15. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

16. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Close. Chris Hanson.

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'll second those exact sentiments. I liked the show, a lot, and found it to be one of my favorites so far this year. I looked forward to this show even more than I look forward to Lost so far this season. I thought NBC would have a great year this year. Between Studio 60, Heroes, and Kidnapped I found Kidnapped to be the one I could live most without and quit watching it after the second week. I have a full realization that I watch too much TV so when a series ends it's time of mixed emotions. The loss of an hour of entertainment a week, but an added hour of free time every week...

Why must my favorite shows always be cancelled, while the ones I give up on live on?

Firefly, Carnivale, and now Studio 60.... cancelled
    Alias... lived on for years after I quit... I predict the same for Kidnapped.

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

That totally sucks. :mad: Studio 60 is a great show. It's a little slow at points, but its definitely better than a reality tv show or game show.

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

They could also fit another Law & Order spinoff in that slot. ;)

This is the first Sorkin show I've ever tried to keep up with (I just never got into West Wing) and I'm sorry to see it go. The cast is great, although I have to admit the storylines so far have not been all that compelling.

20. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    the plots have for the most part been eh... the really great thing I think is the writing and the interplay between the characters.

One thing that bothers me though is the clock in the background. Its often wrong.

21. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Well that's a bummer, I rather enjoyed this show. Story of my life, I get into a show and they rarely last a season. I must have horrible taste.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

NBC is going to air "Friday Night Lights" at 10pm to try and get people to watch since that is another failing show.

23. beatsme thread starter macrumors 65816

beatsme

yea that's actually a pretty good show, from what I've seen of it. I just think that 10pm Monday is a no-win time slot. If I'm watching anything then (and usually I'm not), it's football. NBC would be better served to drop another episode of Dateline in that slot. Studio 60 requires a lot of time and attention, which is too much to ask of someone on a Monday night.

I wonder if the show would fare better on Wednesday @ 9:00?

on the bright side, 30 Rock is funny as hell. Alec Baldwin is hilarious. I hope they stick with that one...if they can keep up the quality of the writing, it's got real potential.

::sigh:: ...good shows that were cancelled and shouldn't have been:

SportsNight
    It's Like You Know
    Andy Richter Controls The Universe

though I guess it's better to leave while the quality is still there, rather than hang on long after the thrill is gone, to wit:

That 70's Show
    The Simpsons
    M*A*S*H

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

After checking NBC's site it appears that Studio 60 will be back next Monday.

and your forgetting the best show of all to be canceled, Arrested Development.

25. beatsme thread starter macrumors 65816

beatsme

another show that died due to poor time slot. What was it, Sunday @ 8:30? I liked it, and I never watched it. Would have been much better suited for a Tuesday or Thursday slot. Just my opinion...