Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by asherman13, Aug 21, 2006.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Is anybody here really excited for that show? I know I am. Brad Whitford, Matthew Perry, Tim Busfield....and it's all written by Aaron Sorkin, Mr. A-Few-Good-Men/The-American-President/Sports-Night/The-West-Wing himself.

What do you all think? Personally, I can't wait for Monday, September 18th at 10pm/9pm Central. :)

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I will definitely be watching. Aaron Sorkin is a really good writer of dialogue (even if I don't agree with his politics), and the combination of Matthew Perry (one of my favorite comedic actors) and Bradley Whitford should be deadly.

I just hope Matthew gets to do a bit of his Nicholas Oseransky character from The Whole Nine Yards:

Nicholas "Oz" Oseransky: Damn it, Jimmy. What the hell did you have to go and move in next door to me?
    Jimmy "The Tulip" Tudeski: Oz, do you know what kind of soil they have in this back yard? I've been here two days and I've got little tomato plants...
    Nicholas "Oz" Oseransky: Oh my God.

3. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I didn't care for A Few Good Men...Nicholson was WAY too old to play a Marine Corps Lt. Colonel, plus Cruise and Demi Moore...bleh

The American President wasn't bad, though Michael Douglas/Annette Bening didn't quite get the rhythm of the Sorkin's dialog, whereas Allison Janney, Felicity Huffman, and Brad Whitford freakin' nailed it...

Sports Night/West Wing were both awesome

I'm looking forward to the show, but I'm worried about time slot...10:00pm on Monday? Ouch...not much has ever come out of that spot. I think Sorkin deserves better (Thursday @ 9:00 for example), but I guess we'll see.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I am a bit worried about this, too. On the other hand, it could be a LOT worse: Friday night, Saturday night, or Tuesday night would all be bad choices.

The fact that I know I will hate ESPN's Monday Night Football (Joe Theismann SUCKS) makes it easier for me to accept SSotSS's time slot.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I can't wait. I love Sports Night and The West Wing (seasons 1-4) but I have such high hopes for this show that I worry I will be disappointed. Sorkin knows dialog.

Issac: Dana, the things that I say in my office, stay in my office.
    Dana: Natalie's my second-in-command, she's the only one I told.
    Natalie: Jeremy's my boyfriend, he's the only one I told.
    Jeremy: I told many many people.

6. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

Sports Night is available on DVD, btw...I've got it. Freakin' love that show.

you know, the first season after Sorkin left the West Wing, it completely sucked. But the two seasons after that were very good. I'm inclined to rank the final season of the show as one of the series' best. Though the thing that kinda rankles me is this:
    the live debate between Santos/Vinick (Smits vs. Alda), I thought Vinick/Alda freakin' wiped the floor with him, and the writers made it out like Santos/Smits actually won...

it's just television, I know, but...

7. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

yea Theismann's a freakin' dunce. But Tirico's ok, and (I can't believe I'm saying this) I actually like Kornheiser.

I know it's off topic, but the guy who really should be given a shot at a big-time analyst position is the excellent Solomon Wilcots. He's on the NFL network right now, but used to be at CBS. Former DB (who brung it...hard) really knows the game and is really good at explaining it.

8. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Personally, I enjoyed the 5th season (although the stuff at the beginning, i.e. Zoey's kidnapping, was a bit much; I loved the political stuff). I didn't like the 6th season too much, but I did LOVE the 7th season.

I think I'm going to sell my season DVDs (2nd-5th) before I buy the boxed set on Nov. 7th.

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Seems like any show with an Ex Friends cast member is doomed for failure. I think Joey had the longest run, and i never understood how as it was a particularly retarded show.

I'll watch a few episodes, but i dont have high hopes.

Ed

10. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

But those shows haven't had Matthew Perry, who in my opinion was the wittiest cast member.

11. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

So what did you all think? I thought the show was good, although breaking up with a female because she sang on the 700 Club seemed a bit weak...

12. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

He didn't really breakup with her simply because she went on the "700 Club." It was much deeper than that.

What was the theme of the episode? Answer: Television is afraid to offend the religious right.

Who is a prominent public religious right leader? Answer: Pat Robertson, host of the "700 Club."

He brokeup with her because she didn't support him. He was battling to get the sketch he wrote aired, and she goes on a television show that features all the things he was fighting against. Essentially, she was saying I support the religious right, not you.

13. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

My impression was that he wrote that sketch much earlier - back when he was still working for the studio. And that they had broken up recently. No big deal really. I thought the show was very entertaining.

14. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

He did write the sketch earlier; Four years earlier, and apparently it was the reason he left the show. But, it's important because four years later, the network still refused to let the show air the sketch. When he saw her, he was saying that this battle is still going on, that's why he brokeup with her. He realized that she doesn't care about what's important to him.

I agree, the show was very entertaining. There were many moments that are classic Sorkin trademarks. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

15. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Makes sense I guess. In any case, it should be interesting to see that sketch next week - you gotta wonder if a show about a show with a sketch could still offend the religious right :confused:

16. achie25 macrumors 6502

I thought it was a great show and I really enjjoyed it. I watch Monday night football at that time so that is why TIVO is such a great thing. I can't wait for next Monday for the next episode.