Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by clayj, Sep 26, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    What, no thread on this show already?

I was hooked after the first episode... second episode aired last night and it was even better. The combination of Aaron Sorkin's writing and the acting of Matthew Perry (the master of deadpan, as far as I am concerned) and Bradley Whitford is just genius. Everything about this show (so far) reeks of authenticity, while still being acidly funny.

The only thing that's bugged me is that Sorkin pulled out The Pirates of Penzance in only the SECOND episode... it took a couple of years of The West Wing before he did that there.
  2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I watched the first ep and I liked it a lot. Ep 2 is sitting on the Tivo.

As one who spent many a Saturday nights at NBC's SNL (had a friend who was a production assistant), I can attest to the authenticity, at least what I saw in the first ep.
  3. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I totally had a thread for this show worries though. :) I've only seen the premiere episode (I'm studying abroad and have to rely on other means of viewing the show), but I loved it. Pirates of Penzance, if I recall correctly, was used in the second season of The West Wing in conjuction with H.M.S. Pinafore, and was one of the first episodes with Ainsley Hayes as Associate White House Council.

"For he himself has said it, and it's surely to his credit, that he is an Englishman, that he is an Englishman."
  4. DubbaJ macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2006
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    I'm totally loving this show!

I never did get into "The West Wing" (mostly a product of my laziness rather than not liking the show), but I loved "Sports Night" when it aired back in 1999-2000. Another Sorkin gem, if you've never seen it, it's worth picking up on DVD (as it only lasted two seasons).

The writing on "Studio 60" is great - just the kind of quick witted humour we'd expect from a Sorkin show! Hopefully it has a good run ahead!
  5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    my big concern is that the writing doesn't go to crap like the West Wings did.
  6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Jun 11, 2003
    Madison, Alabama
    Heh. I didn't do a search, but I was pretty sure that there was already an active thread about the show.

I never got into West Wing either, but I'm digging Studio 60 so far. I've always been a big fan of SNL and I think that's a big part of the draw for me.

A little off-topic, but has anyone ever seen this show "Conversations with Michael Eisner" on CNBC? I'd never seen it before, but his guests last night were Lorne Michaels and some other SNL alumni, and I was kinda in an SNL mood after watching Studio 60, so I watched the first fifteen or twenty minutes of the Eisner show. Talk about awkward. I felt awful for Eisner's guests, who were doing their best not to appear uncomfortable. I had to turn it off.
  7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    Ya caught me. Must have deleted that right when you were quoting me. After thinking on it, my post wasn't in good taste :eek:
  8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Good show, I missed the first one but the one last night was impressive. The problem with me is I can't remember what time and channel they show on...I hope I catch house tonight.