Studio 60 via iTunes on HDTV...Not...Half....Bad!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MovieCutter, Oct 3, 2006.

1. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I must say I'm impressed. This is one of the first times I've actually used my iPod as a digital hub to run TV shows into my HDTV, and I gotta say, I am very impressed. For someone who edits video for a living, which entails me looking for quality video, searching for artifacts, and looking for flaws in video, I gotta say...from 10 feet away, it looks great on my set. Playing out of my iPod through an Apple dock with IR remote makes me salivate at the thought of iTV. If you haven't tried TV shows on your TV via your iPod as the hub...it's really quite cool. It feels like you're stepping into the future.

2. 05elstonc macrumors regular

05elstonc

This is fantastic news. I love to hear how people enjoy the Tv Shows and Movies from the iTunes Store on their "Big screen flat tvs" (Jobs words not mine).

3. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

How long did the download take? (size?)

Could you play while downloading?

4. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Not sure. I bought both episodes, went for a run, came home and there they were. I bought Pirates of the Caribbean last week and was able to play it while it downloaded beautifully. THAT also looked very impressive on my MacBook screen.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And did you just use a svideo cable to hook your ipod dock to your tv?

6. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

But of course!!! I can't imagine what this will be like in the coming years as bandwidth gets wider and the resolution gets higher. I have very high hopes for the future of this distribution system. Nobody else offers this kind of service and it's amazing that Apple is still the only one. Just got done watching the "Cold Start" episode of Studio 60 and I had to get 6 inches from the screen to notice any image quality degradation at a significant level.

7. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Count me in as someone who enjoys the TV shows and movies from iTunes. It saved me when my tivo took a dump the other day. I have to say, when they said the iPod could play video, I thought who in the hell would watch video on a screen that small. Flash forward a few months... I find myself watching The Office during my lunch hour to catch up. I just started watching it and I am about half way through season 2. Man, gotta love technology. I cannot wait to buy the iTV.

8. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Well, I watch Studio 60 in Hi-Def via Comcast, so I can't really comment as to how it relates to iTunes, but I do think it's the best new show on TV. Great insight into the pressure of network television - especially producing a live show like SNL. Matthew Perry is perfect for his part. Where have I seen Harriet before? I can't place it...

9. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yeah, it's absolutely amazing. It's that quick Aaron Sorkin dialogue, fantastic cast (Matt Perry is awesome, but Brad Whitford is even better), and compelling storyline that gives you insight into a world you never get a glimpse of (West Wing into the presidency, Studio 60 into the network television business). It's absolutely amazing, brilliant writing!!!

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you being funny?
    Serenity and I believe she was in Law and Order for a while or at least every so often.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

These places....

12. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Thanks! I remembered her from her part as Miss Isringhausen in Deadwood :p

13. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Best line ever:

Danny: "Well that's nice, but I have no reason to trust you and every reason not to."

Jordan: "Why?"

Danny: "Because you work in television!"

I've worked in television for nine years and this pretty much sums it up. ;)

That's good news about the quality of the show, I have yet to purchase any new videos since the upgrade. Although I've been playing TV shows off my iPod via the Dock for almost a year so I know how you feel! :D