Studio MX 2005

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mkwilson68, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mkwilson68 macrumors member

Hi all
    Anyone have any insight into when we might expect a new release of Studio MX? Boy does it need an update...
    Thanks.
    M

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Why do you think Studio MX needs an update so badly?

3. mkwilson68 thread starter macrumors member

Well, Dreamweaver (even in its updated form) is still as slow as a dog, full of bugs, lacks support for latest coding standards (like xhtml 1.1), has terrible preview rendering...

... Fireworks is also full of bugs, crashes repeatedly with multi-frame files of any size, has major issues with some modern typefaces...

etc.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

How about they just fix the bugs in MX 04 first! Then maybe Freehand will work right like it was supposed to when you paid for it.

Do not pay for bug fixes!

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Exactly.

By the way have you downloaded the latest updates? Cause I don't seem to be having the same problems you're having.

6. Dreamkatcha macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

I'm just trying out the latest version of NVU now and so far I'm very impressed. If it's stable enough I'd be quite happy to bin Dreamweaver. The version I'm using at the moment (6.0 MX) crashes all the time, moves at the pace of a 100 year old, athritic, pensioner on a zimmer frame (and that's on a good day!), and won't display my pages properly while I'm editing them.

Re: the last point, huge chunks of text frequently disappear from view making it impossible to change them. The text remains part of the document even if you save it while it's invisible, so DW isn't deleting it, it's just not displaying it properly. It also crashes on a regular basis and as a result I lose any changes I haven't saved. This happens most often when I'm running longwinded find/replace routines. Something else which is really annoying is when you're editing tables; the changes don't take effect until you click outside the table so it can be like poking around in the dark sometimes. Maybe this isn't something specific to DW?

I did try the updated PC version briefly but didn't appreciate the extra bloat. It's already very clunky without all the new fluff.

7. mcarvin macrumors regular

I have the same problems with FW04 as you - every time I'd click on a symbol, it would "unexpectedly quit". So much for using that, thanks.

I would be more content with Dreamweaver if there was a way to get rid of that horrid Opera 6 preview engine and replace it with 7.5 or the new 8.0pr that just came out.

My biggest gripe with all of MM's stuff is that the UI overwhelms me. It used to be real easy to work in their apps, but a 19" monitor @ 1600x1200 is just enough for Flash alone.

8. mkwilson68 thread starter macrumors member

WebKit anyone? Hello, Macromedia - helloooo???

9. mkwilson68 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I took a look at NVU, but I just can't get used to that Mozilla-like interface: it feels so cranky and gets in the way to much. BBEdit is a much better alternative for a source-driven editor (particularly v8, which is very cool).

But DW's split source/design view is, in principle, the best way to work for those of us who are not full-time coders but know what we're doing enough to do some source-code editing.

Personally, I only work with xhtml 1.1 and fully css-based layouts and the Opera-based engine in DW is just totally useless for this (Opera 7.5 has plenty of issues too). They really should just use WebKit for the Mac product - it's about time Macromedia remembered that they have a lot of Macintosh users who made them who they are, and stopped shafting us with the crappy end of their development process.

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Yeah, there's a Freehand update. It fixes some problems though it's still far from perfect. The process of getting it is a "Macromedia Damaging" event though. As I recall, one needed IE to download it--and then there's activation. They didn't need activation before. And boy do they value those activations! We lost an install to a hard drive failure and they wouldn't de-activate that installation. Bastards.

Dreamweaver could use some work, as has previously been mentioned. If I need to leave my html editor to code by hand in a text editor because a. it's easier or b. the html editor won't do what I want it to do that's a problem. It's a shame because Dreamweaver used to produce the best code--but standards change.

11. panphage macrumors 6502

Dreamweaver always produced impossible spaghetti code. It's list handling was always especially odd. Yes, better than the other WYSIWYG, but there was always hand-tweaking required. Since DW 1.0 anyway...where DID DW 2 and 3 go, anyway?

12. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I got Studio MX a while back and installed it on my P3 600 PC at work. I really wanted to learn how to use it, but between not having much spare time at work and finding the whole thing too darned complicated (Mind you I learned FileMaker Pro from the manual!). The tutorials were impossible to follow and the whole thing seemed unstable too. Since we upgraded computers at work I completly forgot I had the disks.

Thanks for the reminder, but I don't think I will bother to reinstall it.