Study Abroad Where?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mikeyredk, Nov 18, 2005.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

I am trying to decide where I should go abroad. My list consists of Copenhagen, Maastricht, or Shanghai (yes China). My major is Supply Chain and information systems (if you know what that is can you hook me up with an internship while I am out there? :D )

The schools will be Copenhagen Business School, Center for European Studies at Maastricht University, and EAST CHINA NORMAL UNIVERSITY. Does anyone know more about these schools?

2. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Well I don't know anything about the schools, but I know China is booming with business and the economy is growing. Because I am in business I would go to China to study! That is my personal choice!! :) I bet you could find a good internship too! :) Good Luck!!

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

4. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Copenhagen Business School has an excellent reputation, and Copenhagen is a beautiful city (ask MacAdam for more info). Danish, however, is a complete sod to learn - an evil cross between German, English & Norse (my girlfriend is Danish and I'm learning now). Learning Danish (as opposed to Mandarin) would put you at a disadvantage later on (because it's such a a minority language).
    The other schools I know nothing about, but Maastricht is in the middle of nowhere.
    Shanghai would IMHO be the best - China is the future so they say.

5. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

Dutch wouldn't be easy to learn either, but most of the people speak English anyway. But that goes for Copenhagen as well, don't know about Shanghai.
    Maastricht is in the middle of nowhere, but from what i have heard, it's a great city with many cafe's and pubs and other places to hang out, and a lot of students off course.

6. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

I was leaning toward Maastricht only because of the course material allows for greater exploration of Europe. While the other two programs offer less travel but better course material.

course links can be found here
    http://app.outreach.psu.edu/SummerA...untry=Denmark&ID=25&section=courseDescription

http://app.outreach.psu.edu/SummerA...y=Netherlands&ID=13&section=courseDescription

http://www.international.psu.edu/ea/programs_summer_cieeshanghai.htm

7. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

I agree about China but it is tough to know what it will be like until you are actually there. I think study abroad for a semester is great, I spent a semester in Sevilla Spain.

My only regret is that I didn't go for an entire academic year. For how long will you be there?

8. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

China 8 weeks
    Denmark June 23 - August 6
    Netherlands June 5-July 12

9. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

Is China a summer program as well?
    Can you go to both China and Europe? All sound great, good luck!

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Say what? Maastricht stands at the junction of Holland, Germany & Belgium. Within minutes you can be in any one of these countries... within hours on the train you can be in France, Luxembourg, and possibly the UK, maybe even further.

If you think learning Dutch is hard, try learning to read and write Mandarin. Besides, the majority of Dutch people speak excellent English... waar, nee?
    ;)

11. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

Not possible China is from mid-June to mid-August

12. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Speculating about who is going to be the economic powerhouse in the future is crazy. Concern yourself more with what you find interesting.

13. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Why is that crazy? If you're going to do a business related course surely he should go where business is going to be the greatest.
    But if it's only for 6/8 weeks that makes the choice less daunting.
    OT FlorenceVassy - when and where did you study in Sevilla? I only ask because my sister worked in a language school there until recently. Wondered what you thought about the place.
    None of the languages in question are easy to learn, but China would be a bigger experience for me. Easy for me to say as I can get around Europe easily and cheaply, and have done already - more difficult if you're from the US.

14. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

zeker waar, you won't have any problems getting by in English.

On a Dutch scale of distances Maastricht is in the middle of nowhere, because the so called "Randstad" (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague) is like 2 hours away. But of course you can visit a lot of places in Belgium and Germany if you like. But for a period of 5 or 6 weeks you don't have to worry that you'll be bored in Maastricht.

15. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys now I just need to find a chinese man and I will be up a creek with 3 incomplete paddles

16. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

It is rediculous to try to guess what country is going to be the economic powerhouse in the future and then base your education around that guess. It is silly. Some of the smartest people speculate that China has serious upcoming problems. They are going to experience massive shortfalls in energy production, widespread social unrest, horrible environmental problems, decreasing competitiveness, and a government almost as corrupt as the White House. Their growth will most certainly slow. Pursue what interests you. That is all I am saying. If you think chinese business is appealing then go for it. That would be as sensible a choice as any.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Go to China.

You just described America. :p

Even that last sentence makes sense when describing America if you erased the word "almost."

18. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

That is exactly my point. If he likes China, then go to China.

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i'm trying to go China on a 2 week "class". I've always wanted to go to china. Its geared towards the culture not my major. (that's next year)

20. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

I studied in Sevilla a while ago...1990. I studed at CCCS, the Center for Cross Cultural Study. I liked the school very much. What school was your sister working in? Sevilla is a beautiful city, I love the food and architecture and the people were nice. I also got to take some nice weekend trips to Portugal and other nearby cities in Spain. I went back last October 2004 (Actually it was a trip to Madrid and we took the AVE to Sevilla for a day) and we had a great time.

21. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

I concur .... Maastricht is a neat little town (even though it is not in Holland :p ), good food and beers, very close to major other cities.

22. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay I am going to kick China out of the running

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

you sound like an mba student...i studied here in the states but there was this great program at my school which cost ten grand more

year 1: basics of mba in accounting, economics, management, marketing, stats, finance, human resources management, and electives

year 2: 9 months in hawaii studying japanese and japanese management strategies and 3 months working for a japanese company in japan

the wharton school of management from the university of pennsylvania was one of the nation's first mba programs to make students study abroad and my school and many others followed that path

24. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

Why do you say I am a Grad student? or where you being sarcastic?

But nothing tops the QMM (Quality and Manufacturing Management) only one year program average salary 55-65k and most get jobs before their second semester, only available here at Penn State.

25. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Hi Jefhatfield, out curiosity .... what do you do? You comments always seems right on!