Study: Body Shape May Better Indicate Heart Disease

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Apr 21, 2004.

1. macrumors P6

wdlove

Researcher: Apple Shaped Bodies More Prone To Heart Attacks

BOSTON -- Do you know if you're an apple or a pear? We're not talking about favorite fruits, we're talking about body shape, or where you carry extra weight -- if you have any.

NewsCenter 5's Heather Unruh reported that a new study suggests that body shape is a better indicator of cardiovascular disease than obesity.

Like millions of Americans, Elliot Margolis is carrying some extra weight around his middle.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/3023013/detail.html?treets=bos&tml=bos_health&ts=T&tmi=bos_health_1_12150004212004

2. macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    This sounds like a rehash of old data. I remember hear about this a while ago. The whole apple pear thing.

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's a good thing the issue isn't whether you're shaped like an Apple or a Window. :)

Slightly OT, but can I rant for a moment? I really hate those pictures of fat people that the media loves to use when talking about obesity. Always a crop of someone's mid-section, or fat people walking around on the sidewalk. Not entirely sure why, but I find it really offensive.

End of rant.

4. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It's been brought up in the past, but we're going to see more of this in the future. There's a HUGE concern in this country about obesity, and it is slowly becoming the #1 killer of Americans next to cigarettes. That's pathetic. Something needs to happen soon, as I believe 70% of our population is considered to be overweight?