Study: Body Shape May Better Indicate Heart Disease

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Apr 21, 2004.

1. macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Researcher: Apple Shaped Bodies More Prone To Heart Attacks

BOSTON -- Do you know if you're an apple or a pear? We're not talking about favorite fruits, we're talking about body shape, or where you carry extra weight -- if you have any.

NewsCenter 5's Heather Unruh reported that a new study suggests that body shape is a better indicator of cardiovascular disease than obesity.

Like millions of Americans, Elliot Margolis is carrying some extra weight around his middle.
  2. macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    This sounds like a rehash of old data. I remember hear about this a while ago. The whole apple pear thing.
  3. Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    It's a good thing the issue isn't whether you're shaped like an Apple or a Window. :)

Slightly OT, but can I rant for a moment? I really hate those pictures of fat people that the media loves to use when talking about obesity. Always a crop of someone's mid-section, or fat people walking around on the sidewalk. Not entirely sure why, but I find it really offensive.

End of rant.
  4. Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    It's been brought up in the past, but we're going to see more of this in the future. There's a HUGE concern in this country about obesity, and it is slowly becoming the #1 killer of Americans next to cigarettes. That's pathetic. Something needs to happen soon, as I believe 70% of our population is considered to be overweight?