Study: Female gamers outnumber boys

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by idea_hamster, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If only I could meet some of these girls! My girlfriend usually rolls her eyes whenever my friends and I bring my xbox out and play Halo on the big screen in the lobby...insists we are idiots for wasting our time.

2. jadariv macrumors regular

They don't really say what kind of games though.

I play games on my xbox and my mac and pc. All the usual games.

Now, my wife plays online crosswords and solitaire.

If we compared the times spent on the computer playing during the week. Yeah, she definitely plays much more than me. And I would suppose most of the women polled are the same. So there probably isn't some secret society of hot chicks that play halo and warcraft 3.

We can always dream though.

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah my sister plays The Sims alot, heck even more then I play some of my games, but not more then me...

I doubt FPS or First Person Shooters Girls Out Number Boys.

Even in Startcraft... few girls in site.

edit: this was on slashdot, so I already read another version.

4. montecristo macrumors member

This is a good point -- I wonder how detailed the study is -- and really the study just says more women 18 and older (how old?) play than boys 6 to 17 (largely regulated by the parents....). And think about all those people at work who play tetris and solitaire etc....I don't mean to stereotype, but if your secretary at work is bored, he or she will probably play minesweeper or soltaire and the like, and that secretary will most likely be a woman.

The other thing is the hours played. I would imagine (stereotypically speaking, again) that men would spend many more hours getting into a game than women would, if you compare game-for-game.

Still, the study does make the video-game industry rethink (makes me rethink my stereotypes!). Good find there, idea-hamster ;)

5. idea_hamster thread starter macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

You know, it would be just an hysterical commercial, IMO, for Halo to have a follow-up to the one were all the guys get shot up by some Special Forces dudes playing from the desert -- in which the SF guys lose to some super models. ("You never know who you'll run into!")

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Wasn't that a commercial for SOCOM SEALS? Good idea tho.

7. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Yeah, some how I can't see a group of girls all getting together to play Halo for five or six hours. However, my girlfriend is straight up addicted to Snood. If you haven't tried it, I recommend it. It's addicting, but repetitious. I think that there are many of these types of games out there that women like because there isn't a large learning curve and they can past the time for five minutes.

On the other hand, there are the massive complex games such as GTA3, WC3, Ghost Recon or any RPG that might scare away even the novice of guy gamers.

But hey, times are changing. I hope there are more women out there who can kick my ass in UT2K3, that alone will motivate me to get better and faster.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I tried teaching my girlfriend to play Halo, but it didn't go so well. We did manage to find out that she likes Munch's Oddysee from the game demo on the Halo disc, though. I guess that's a start. :) It's hard finding someone to play me in Halo since I've beaten the snot out of just about everyone at my school. I haven't played any girls, but if I someday play a girl who could hand my ass to me in Halo, I'd probably be in love!

9. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Guys, it's 'females outnumber YOUNG BOYS', not '...outnumber boys' in general. Big difference there :)

10. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

yeah, that is a little misleading...

But ain't all of us guys who play video games young boys at heart?

11. idea_hamster thread starter macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Oh, man -- I totally forgot about Snood! That was a wasted period of my life. If I had spent as much time stoned out of my gourd, I'd at least have stories like, "Remember that time I dropped my keys and you thought the phone was ringing? Heh, heh...."

Snood. Man, be careful.

12. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Yeah, I spent a good quarter of my college career trying to beat my dad's high score in Snood. That's about the point that I introduced it to my girlfriend after she'd rip on me for playing it so much. Now I'm telling her to knock it off.

They finally ported Snood over to OSX about 6 months back and I've started up the habit again....

beware.....

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Huh. I've never seen a girl playing a major title game before, I've only seen them playing freeware/shareware stuff from the net. Cool then. I guess. Hmm. This post sounds rather sexist...well...whatever...I'm blathering and blithering.