Study Shows Combat Stress Aid Falls Short

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 12, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

i find it very hard to believe that, with nearly 18,000 US soldiers wounded in iraq, only half that number may have combat stress. and that only 1 in 9 of the wounded got any help.

realistically, i'd expect at least 40% of returning soldiers to have some form of PTSD. not 1.1%.

2. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Not that this refutes anything posted, but isn't it military procedure to have a support-combat ratio of about 5-1? Meaning that for every soldier on combat missions, there are 5 supporting him/her.

So w/o knowing troop rotation or any other policy on-the-ground, couldn't it be said that a much lower % of total troops are even put in situations that would risk trauma? I have read a huge % of troops spend their time in fortified FOB's, which are pretty close to a suburban pod - with mcdonalds, movie theatres and the like...

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You'd be surprised. The stories I hear from those I know in the military make you really wonder about those who claim to support the troops. In one case, they didn't want to pay to remove shrapnel out of a guys arm, saying he couldn't prove it was from combat in Iraq because there was no paperwork on it. Eventually they did, after threat of a lawsuit, but that's not even the worst story I've heard. It sickens me how badly we treat our troops.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I know when my brother got back he bought a handgun straight away because he couldn't stand being without a weapon. He goes back in July.