Studying in Paris (Help)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mfInc, Nov 22, 2006.

1. mfInc macrumors member

Hi guys, I know this may be a long shot but I thought I'd try posting here and seeing if anyone might know how or where to go to get information.

My girlfriend is looking to study in Paris. We both currently live in Canada and am she is in her second year at a University here (majoring in French and Economics). Schools here are not challenging enough for her, she has family there and would love to go there and continue in either 3rd year (or even 2nd year).

If anyone could suggest any universities in Paris, France, websites, programs, coordinators, your own experience, etc. I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

3. mfInc thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry...what is sci-po?

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

5. fitinferno macrumors 6502

The Sorbonne is a good choice. Very central and people I know who have attended have really liked it.

I had a friend attending science-po but he decided to drop as he said he didn't really like it. Unfortunately, he was not specific on what he didn't like--I think it was to do with how his programme was being run but I don't remember which one he had gone into. However, it's definitely worth giving their website a look as I'm quite sure they have some exchange type programmes as I met a girl from Oklahoma who was studying there for just one year and then going back to Oklahoma.

In general, the University of Paris as a whole is worth looking into: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Paris#Colleges

Or, if she's into the idea of studying at a well-known business-oriented university that's out in middle of nowhere Paris, HEC is a good choice. But personally, I wouldn't wind up going there even if I was getting paid to do so (ok...well maybe if getting paid as I'm poor student...but...) The reason for this is that it feels very run-down and the living arrangements are quite bad.

Hope she finds something that works! :)

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I hear its is horrible second worst only after St. Louis University Madrid. It has no entry requirements. It is full of rich kids who scraped a pass in highschool. Then again all this info is just what I'v heard from friends(we are in the process of applying to colleges).

7. fitinferno macrumors 6502

This I would think to be true as it is the same case as the American University London (when I looked into AUL, they would've let me get a bachelor's in just 2 years w/AP credit! not normal as it was enough for maybe a year off...but two no way)...if his girlfriend is not finding challenge at her current school, I would try to refrain from any "American University of..." recommendation.