Stuff I put in sites folder won't appear online, in addition to other attempts access

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPowers, Feb 6, 2007.

1. iPowers macrumors 6502

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

3. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

that seems to load, but to others it won't and my real IP wont' load anywhere else either.

4. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

You need to configure your router to forward port 80 to your internal IP. Or just put your computer's IP into the DMZ in your router. That will allow your external IP to be used to access your web server.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

and once you do that, you can find your external IP at whatismyip.com

6. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

First off how do I do that? I can't even edit t he router.

I think the way to do it is use netbarrior.

7. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

I ams orry to double post but can someone please answer this? I want to have a website on my computer and I can't do it without this issue being fixed.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Why not? Because without being able to config port forwarding on the router or move your computer into the DMZ, you are pretty much SOL.

9. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

well in System Preferences>Network>TCP/IP>router, the configured IPv4 is using DHCP and becuase of that, I cna't edit the router, which is currently 10.0.0.1. Editing it could ruin my connection.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No.. Not there.

Log into the router that stands between you and the internet. Typically it's via a web interface. Edit it to allow traffic directed to port 80 on your external IP to be redirected to port 80 on your Mac's internal IP.

If you do not have the administrative rights to do that.. we cannot help you.

11. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

What brand and model number router do you have?

12. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

A lot of people have linksys routers.

try typing 192.168.1.1 in safari.

If it asks you for username and password leave the username blank and type "admin" for the password.

Then go to Apps & Gaming and forward port 80 to your local IP.

If your local IP is 192.168.1.102, just enter 102 in the box.

13. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

Firefox has an option that says it is directly connected to the internet, so tha will not work.

Yeah that doesn't work. It says it won't load. I think it is the firewall that is preventing this to happen (netbarrior) somehow. I did change options there and that didn't help either.

The idea mainly is to get the sites folder visable to people and people can see stuff like itunes sharing and view my music, see a radio station if I do that, and much more.

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

No, they won't be able to. iTunes Sharing is only for users in your local subgroup (i.e. any computers within your LAN with the same first three numbers as your local IP address, such as 192.168.1.x)

15. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the thing though. my dad can not see my songs, but I can see his.

There was a library once that was appearing of some guy in another house and I could see his, but he wasn't in my lan line.

16. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone what could be causing this barrior to happen?

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That doesn't mean that you are connecting "directly to the internet". It means that you aren't using a proxy. You're still bound by TCP protocol (slight redundancy) to connect through a series of routers.

Again, if you cannot connect to and edit the router that stands between you and the world, we cannot help you.

18. NicP macrumors 6502

You haven't left your wireless router open have you? Have you got a wireless router?

19. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not using a proxy. I am using a standerd IP address.

And yes I do have a wireless router.

20. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

You have a router. You have a MAC. Get rid of Netbarri"o"r.

21. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

I need it to prevent my computer from getting hacked.

I had an ibook and my stuff appeared online just fine with netbarrior on.

I even disabled netbarrior and it still won't show online.

22. uptime macrumors newbie

Open up the Network Utility inside of /Applications/Utilities and see what you current IP Address is on either en0 or en1 depending on whether you are wired or wireless. The address will be a non internet IP address such as 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x. That is the addressing scheme that most home devices use.

Take that IP address and put it into a browser and see if it works. If it does not then you have a local firewall rule on your machine that is preventing access. If it works then you need your router (internet gateway) configured to forward port 80 through to you from the internet.

When anyone connects from the internet they are actually connecting to your router(ISP assigned IP address) and then the router takes that information and forwards it to your computer(router assigned IP address). No one is able to connect directly to your computer from the internet so that router configuration is essential.

If none on this makes sense to you then you may be in a little over your head and need to get a local IT person to set it up for you.

23. NicP macrumors 6502

LOL

Sounds like you haven't enabled any encryption on your wireless router, how exactly has your computer been "hacked"?