Stuffed Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XNine, Aug 2, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Okay, so I've looked on the net for small recipes for stuffed portobello mushrooms, and all of them call for tons of ingrediants that I really don't want to deal with. Basically, I have access to italian cheeses, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs (or actual bread). Can I do much with this? What else do you think I would need to make a tasty stuffed mushroom without a ton of ingrediants?

Much help from the chefs and cooks is appreciated. (I'm a bachelor, I know ramen and little juan burritos for crying out loud).
    :p

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I think you've got enough there to be honest. Just mix some cheese with the breadcrumbs (though make it mostly cheese coz the breadcrumbs might make it a bit dry), season it with the salt and pepper, stuff your mushrooms, pour a bit of olive oil over them, whack 'em in the oven or on the BBQ.

Other things you could add - some fresh garlic or garlic powder goes really well with mushrooms, parsley, bacon bits/ham.

3. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

bacon? Great, thanks, now I have to go buy bacon. Word of advice, don't ever mention bacon to me! It's like crack to a junkie for me.... :D

Nice, I appreciate the help, max!

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Do you have any herbs or spices? The ingredients you have should be fine, but it would be nice if you could ad some things like basil, thyme, oregano, etc...

That aside, what Max recommended sounds pretty good.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've got a reciepe at home for this IIRC... If you can wait until tonight I think I can help.

6. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Hmmmm - decisions, decisions. How about (and I've done this many times as a starter) not stuffing them, but doing sort of en croute? So. Get some fresh bread and fry it in the oil, with a load of chopped garlic. Then saute the mushrooms (some more garlic won't hurt) and add some chopped bacon or lardons. Lay the mushrooms/bacon on the bread and cover with sliced cheese (what sort do you have?) and then put under the grill and let the cheese melt. Grate some black pepper over it all. And ---- bon appetit! (oh, and sometimes I drizzle some tabasco sauce or chilli oil over it all).

7. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

*drools* it's all sounding so good. Now I have to go buy bacon and herbs.

Yeah, MacTastic, I can wait, I won't be making them until at least tomorrow night, maybe friday.

STUFFED MUSHROOMS RULE.

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    you've got more than i'd ever use when i grill portobellos

i usually just brush some olive oil (or butter) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. chili flakes for spice if im in the mood.

alternatively, you could it cutlet style after stuffing the cheese inside, sprinkle both sides with sale using dipping the mushroom in egg and covering it the crumbs and grind some pepper over the crumbs and fry at med-low temp til golden brown.

9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm a fan of using chopped bell pepper and chorizo with the stem as a filling. It adds flavor and a bit of color. I wouldn't have mentioned it, but since you're going to the store anyway....

10. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

little crab meat and/or shrimp would be nice...

mmmmmm, getting hungry:D

11. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Don't think because you're my alter ego, live in the same state, and are awake when I am not, that you can just come over and have your way with my mushrooms!

Damn, these are all good ideas. I'm going to be REALLY broke after my trip to King Stoopid's tonight...

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Oni, you may want to check out Foodnetwork.com, i have gotten more than a few good cooking ideas from there :)

Ed

13. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Uh... The day Mac geeks start to talk about cooking, means that they are growing up... :rolleyes:

(Er, I found myself actually buying a food magazine last time I entered the News shop...)

About the mushrooms, I'd say: go for it with what you have. Honestly, that's the best way to know, and to improve for next time. As long as it makes sense to you, and your initial selection sounds fine to me.

14. Lau Guest

Know what I'd do, Onizuka? I'd get some garlic, pound it up with some butter and olive oil and maybe parsley, cover the mushrooms in it and grill (do you guys say broil?) or oven bake them till they smell amazing. I'd brush the bread with some oil or butter and toast it, and then put the mushrooms on the toasted bread, possibly with some parmesan sprinkled over it, but they wouldn't need it. They'll be really meaty and garlicky and fabulous. :)

15. iGary Guest

iGary

16. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
  17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sorry man, I thought I had a good receipe for stuffed mushrooms, but mine are pretty run-of-the-mill. The suggestions here have been pretty good anyways.

18. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I have a fantastic recipe for crab stuffed mushrooms - it's at home though. I'll try to post it tonight/tomorrow. Mmmmm.

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

That reminds me - if you can find it, Alton did a wonderful GE episode on Mushrooms a while back.

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Whatever you do, make sure you put some garlic in there! A little fresh garlic can work miracles...:D