Stuffit alternative

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by goomba, Jun 17, 2006.

1. goomba macrumors member

Am I forced to install Stuffit Expander to extract sit files? I hate how that buggy app hijacks the much better OS X compression tools when I only need it for the rare .sit files I still run across. Luckily, this is becoming less of a problem since Apple stopped bundling Stuffit, but some developers (COUGHMICROSOFTCOUGH) still haven't gotten the message.

So is there another program out there?

2. daze macrumors 6502

daze

I hear you. I use PathFinder which has built-in support for StuffIt archives. But that's not a free tool... Can't think of a better alternative at this time.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Exactly what are the bugs that you have identified in Stuffit Expander, in which version(s), on which OS?

4. goomba thread starter macrumors member

It associates itself with many filetypes that I don't need it for, and there appears to be no way to change this. It gives buggy readings for estimated extraction time, it crashes when trying to unextract certain zip/rar archives. (This is with versions 10.0-10.0.2 on 10.4.6).

I also don't like how Allume forces me to sign up for an email list simply to download the program!

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Unfortunately, Stuffit compression is proprietary to Allume, so there isn't any alternative unstuffit apps out there.

6. goomba thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link, solaris. :cool:

10.1b is many steps in the right direction. Universal binary, no more carbon installer, and a very simple interface. And it can configure file associations! Hopefully this will be the end of my Stuffit problems.

7. goomba thread starter macrumors member

Nevermind. Once again Stuffit has taken upon itself to handle all my zip/tar files, and there seems no way of changing this. Time to uninstall again. :confused:

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

tarballs probably.. zip.. no, I don't think so.

You should be able to re-associate zip file with BOMArchiveHelper (/System/Library/CoreServices/BOMArchiveHelper.app).

Select a zip, Get Info, Open With, Select BomArchiveHelper, click Change All button.

9. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I too would like an alternative to Stuffit for opening sit and sitx files. The are many reports of Stuffit causing instability (see Google), and I don't like the fact that Stuffit installs a kext. Little Snich identifies Stuffit as a threat every time I restart my Powerbook.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Unfortunately, 99.999% chance that there never will be one.

11. nich macrumors newbie

hahahha. if you can install osx on non-apple machines, you can do anything.

try a google search:) i like The Unarchiver as it is a good replacement for the BOM Archive Helper.

12. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Hmmmm I had never heard of The Unarchiver before. I've been using UnRARX for .rars, BOM Archiver for zips and stuffit for the odd file. Thanks!

13. nich macrumors newbie

seriously though, mac software is millions times easier to find than on other platforms.
    all i did was go to macupdate.com, search for stuffit, look at the results. really, really easy. i find it odd when i read forum queries like this.
    and an extra tip, don't take notice of user comments on macupdate, versiontracker.com, etc. unless of course, they provide solutions to problems.

on a side note, if you can, request stuffit archives to be recompressed in a non proprietary format. let's kill stuffit once and for all.

14. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Absolutely correct. Mac applications are easier to find, update and install!

StuffIt should die. There are tons of better compression formats that work across platforms.

15. Angsty macrumors member

Angsty

Thank You!! I have been pulling my hair out in frustration with Stuffit insisting on associating a .sit file with Word!! :(

All fixed now :)