Stuffit and sit format

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Max Payne, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

Lately, whenever I am trying to install a new demo to something I find interesting, I get a file with sit format. I looked it up in google and it seams that I need to use Stuffit. As most of you know, stuffit is very expensive especially if you are going to use it to expand compressed files. Think free winzip and winrar.

Where can I find a cheap, preferably free program that I can use to uncompress sit format?

Thank you all.

2. Max Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. It seams that I was looking for the wrong thing. Stuffit Archives

Stuffit

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm sure my last Mac (PB G4) came with Stuffit Expander preinstalled in OS X and Classic, it's strange that they no longer include it. Were Stuffit files used a lot in OS 9?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes.

5. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I think it actually survived until Tiger. When I bought my first powerbook it came with 10.3 and stuffit was included.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Stuffit Expander stopped being included with OSX with the release of Tiger, same as Internet Explorer for Mac.

The reason being that most companies now release their software in the more common .zip and .dmg formats - both of which OSX deals with natively.

.sit etc. files are fairly uncommon now, most of them are old programs from companies who haven't updated their software.

But, Stuffit Expander is free and pretty handy sometimes especially with encrypted zip files etc.