Stuffit ARGH!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by neonart, Feb 7, 2003.

1. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

What's up with Stuffit?

Version 7 keeps saying ther's an error when decompressing a file. When I try to download 7.0.1 it messes up. If I download a .dmg file it does not work.

Man this is frustrating!

I'm going to have to buy a deluxe version or something.

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

3. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

Wha?

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think what Macman is trying to say is if you have version 6 of Stuffit try using that. But I think what I am going to say is ignore his "advice". Remember, Stuffit does not decompress .dmg files, but rather compresses files it can recognize. If you double-click on a .dmg file it will extract a disk image (.dmg) with files inside. Stuffit, Expander or Deluxe, is not required to expand .dmg files, as they extract without using Stuffit.

If you are having problems with certain Stuffit files that should expand with Stuffit among others, then those files mau be corrupted.

If you are still having problems (with all files and not just the possibly corrupted one), make sure you have the latest system software update, and post your error.

5. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

I'm not trying to decompress .dmg's with stuffit.

Here's the deal. Stuffit Expander basically say's anything I DL and expand is currupt. And the .dmg file for Version 7.0.1 does not work.
    So if you have experienced similar problems I would appreciate your help.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm afraid I haven't experienced any such issues with Stuffit. I'm assuming you have Mac OS X 10.2.3 and ample memory. I'd check the preferences in Stuffit to see if anything is checked that shouldn't be checked, or the other way around. I'm afraid I can't help you much further.

Some others might offer better advise for this situation. But for premium assistance I would suggest posting your question at www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/ (after registering). The person running the site is an Apple Certified Tech. and should provide superior assistance.

7. awulf macrumors 6502

I downloaded the .sit file for stuffit expander 7, I tried expanding it using 6.5 and it doesn't expand because you need stuffit expander 7 to expand this. Why the hell does Alladin do this? To extract it you need to have the file inside it. I con't be stuffed to download the .dmg file, another 5mb.

8. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

I finally got 7.0.1 to download as a .dmg. I installed it and deleted the old one and things are better. It's 5.5 MB so I don't know if I you can receive it via email, but I can send it to you if you want.

9. awulf macrumors 6502

It's ok, i'll download the .dmg file some time in the near future. But thanks for the offer.

10. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I think Stuff It is a pain most of the time... It's anoying.... ARG:rolleyes:

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The other day, I launched StuffIt Expander and it said something like "There is a new version available. Wanna get it?". I checked what version I had: 7.0.1. Then I picked up the latest version and installed it. It was 7.0.1 again. It no longer asks me about getting a new version. Huh? Do they have two versions of version 7.0.1?