STUFFIT EXPANDER problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by punkmac, Feb 12, 2004.

1. punkmac macrumors regular

Ok....

I believe my Stuffit Expander app has been corrupted.

I think my son was messing at one point and it started not opening files.

I updated it at Alladin but this did not work. (version 8)

So, I completly ditched the app and installed an older version from a friends mac.(version 7)

.Sit files open sometimes while .dmg files do nothing at all. Stuffit launches and does nada. I've dragged files into the window, double clicked, everything.

Now software updates like ichat av in .dmg cannot open. I just tried Garageband too, and nothing!

Help anyone?

I.:confused:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: STUFFIT EXPANDER problem

I'll say. Stuffit Expander has nothing to do with .dmg files. These are MacOS X disk image files, not Stuffed or Zipped archives.

Prior to Panther, .dmg files were handled by Disk Copy. Now they are created by DiskUtility, but are handled by DiskImageMounter. You simply double-click on a .dmg file. You should see a new volume mounted on your Desktop. If it doesn't open into a window automatically, then double-click on the new mounted volume to open it in a new window. You should be able to take things from there.

If none of this works for you, then you probably deleted some essential utilities from your computer. Reinstall them.

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Re: Re: STUFFIT EXPANDER problem

It could also be that DMG's were pointed to be opened by the wrong application. Click on it then pick the open with and see what it says. Make sure it says DiskImageMounter.

4. punkmac thread starter macrumors regular

opened .dmg file!

Thanks! I opened the GB update with "open with"

Stuffit must have been selected to open .dmg

I've recently made a secure dektop for my 5 year old because I thought he was tinkering.

Now to make sure Stuffit works.

Thanks again!!!

I.