Stuffit is broken in OS 10.4!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qtip919, Nov 6, 2005.

1. qtip919 macrumors 6502

Aarrgh

This is so frustrating. After upgrading to 10.4, I can no longer expand files with Stuffit 10. Everything hangs indefinately...check out this latest screencap (attached)

Anyone seeingn/know about this behavior?

Attached Files:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have no problems

try the usual repair permissions, delete prefs, re-install app...

3. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the easiest way to delete the prefs is to do a spotlight search for Stuffit...
    the file that turns up with a ".plist" at the end is your pref, just send it to the trash from there.

5. Bear macrumors G3

It isn't StuffIT, it's Drive Genius. I tried that myself and got nowhere. Everything else I've used with StuffIT on 10.4.x works fine.

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Stuffit has been "broken" for at least five years now :p But uh...seriously, it seems to still be working (as much as it does) in 10.4.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

I got exactly the same thing when trying to decompress the Drive Genius image. I ended up cancelling and trying again, and after a very long while, it worked fine the second time.

Actually, I think maybe if I'd have been more patient to begin with it would've worked fine the first time--I just got thrown off by the scary number.

The thing is, the drive genius image decompresses to something like 550MB, so it just takes a REALLY long time to finish. Try being patient. If that doesn't work, cancel and try again, and be patient again.

8. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

lol i got the same error, unstuffing the same thing. It kept crashing, so i gave up

9. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was also having the same problem with other .sit files...so, I wasnt suprised with the error with DriveGenius

I repaired permissions and repeated the procedure, waited about 40 minutes and it completed...wow, that sucks

10. haiggy macrumors 65816

Haha, same thing happened to me... same file too...

11. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

wow my stuffit works fine except since 10.4.0 stuffit will expand files and if there are multiple files when stuffit puts them in a folder. i open it up and THERE IS NOTHING IN THERE! i have to expand it like 5 times and it will magicaly work. tried this on multiple macs so it's not a matter of reinstall or anything. like that with version 9 and 10 of stuffit. i'm hoping there will be a fix. it seems to help if i turn off the show item info preference for the desktop.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yeah happens to me all the time. :mad: The only way around it is if you can get the folder open before it's finished expanding. This works every time, as long as it's a big enough file it'll take a second to expand. Otherwise, you just have to keep on expanding it until it works....

13. Atlasland macrumors 6502

I have EXACTLY the same problem, and its really pissing me off. I have repeated and tried it. I have opened the folder before expanding. I have expanded to different folders. But it still doesn't work.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Please?

I am trying to expand 3 rar files together. Is there another program I can use? I tried WINrar (I think that was it), but I couldn't understand how to use it.

14. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Try adding a new folder within the "seemingly" empty expanded folder stuffit creates. Or just drag a file into the folder which will make the finder update the contents which "should" enable you to view the expanded files.

15. Atlasland macrumors 6502

nope - didn't work

thanks though

any other suggestions?

16. Makosuke macrumors 603

Stuffit's RAR support is completely worthless, and always has been, particularly with broken or partial archives.

What you want is either the tiny, free UnRarX, or the much beefier shareware MacPAR deLuxe, which in addition to fixing or rebuilding archives using PAR or PAR2 parity files does RAR joining and decompression, plus if you toss in the small app Split & Concat it even auto-concatinates straight split files without resorting to the terminal and "cat". It'll make RARs and PAR/PAR2s, also. Great app, if a tad pricey.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Interesting. I've decompressed several RAR files (including spanned archives) without any problems whatsoever, using Expander 9 and 10.

18. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I had some issues with Stuffit too, mostly things not actually being expanded unless I expanded each part of them one-by-one. With 10.4, however, Stuffit is fairly useless as you can expand the few files it was originally used for.

19. jeriqo macrumors member

20. Atlasland macrumors 6502

THANK YOU. I Tried UnRarX and it worked! I've been trying to uncompress those files for nearly 2 months - and finally its done!

Once again, thanks.