Stuffit Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ewoh24, Mar 24, 2006.

1. ewoh24 macrumors regular

I archived about 30 GB of music files on my PC because whenever I tried to bring these files over to my Mac, I got an error about not being able to read from source file etc...I realized this was probably because of the charecter size limitations between the two platforms. Now, I've got the .zip file on my iMac and it won't expand in Stuffit. I'm getting the "operation cannot complete" error. I've successfully done this before in similar situations but I guess there's one or two files that just aren't able to make the leap. Has this ever happened to anyone and is there a workaround? Possibly even a UNIX command that may work?

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Try right-clicking/control-clicking on the file and choosing Open With->BOMArchiveHelper. That's OS X's built-in zip expander.

3. ewoh24 thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't work! Same error. Is there any way at all to get these files out? 30 gigs of music down the drain?

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Sounds to me like your ZIP file is probably corrupt. Can you try opening it on a PC? FWIW, I've never had any trouble transferring ZIP file between a Mac and a PC, but then I've never tried transferring such a big (30 GB) ZIP file either.

5. iGav macrumors G3

Have you got Stuffit Deluxe?

If so... Open Deluxe, then go File, Open and select your .zip archive.

You should then be able to drag the files from Stuffit Delux to your Desktop/Chosen folder.

Do it in chunks, I suspect you've got a problem file in there somewhere that's causing the decompression error.

6. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Code:
    unzip -tv archive_name.zip

Is a Unix command that will test the archive file and each file stored in the archive. This might help you determine where the problem is.

Code:
    unzip archive_name.zip

Will uncompress the archive.

In both cases, archive_name.zip is the name of the archive file. If this file is on your desktop then you will need to use the command

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop

before either of the unzip commands to move to the Desktop folder.