Stuffit just bounces, bounces...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wowser, Jan 8, 2005.

1. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I have had no problems with Stuffit up to today. I downloaded a .zip file this morning and it opened it no trouble. However, later today I dowloaded an .sit file: the Stuffit icon popeed up but just stayed bouncing there for about 30 seconds. Then it stopped bouncing but still didn't do anything. It took 2 minutes to open a 86k file!. I have downloaded a few more .sit files today and the same thing happens. Please help!

2. Melvin Furd macrumors member

Melvin Furd

Stuffit Bounce

I had the same problem too with drop zip. I just rebooted the computer and everything seem fine after that.

3. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

I rebooted and all seems slow and jumpy again with Stuffit. Also, Safari just decided to restore all the default settings all of a sudden just now, and is now asking me to make some sort of new Key Chain!

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

BACKUP YOUR FILES. Sounds like things are going south.

Then try to fix it.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yikes. What OS version are you running? What did you unzip before? Was it a new application install? Did you repair permissions? As jsw said, backup if you can.

6. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

I've repaired permissions but still have these odd probs. You may have noticed my other thread 'Fed up with my Mac' lol. I am going to back up what I can. Ah well, I don't think 5gb of music will fit on a CD, but I"ll save what I can. How do I do a copmplete reinstall if things went badly?

7. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Check to see if version checking is turned on, and if so, turn it off for now. The Allume web site support area is somewhat troubled at the moment and Stuffit may be repeatedly checking for that update, never connecting, and slowing its real work.

You've probably done this already, but if that zip file that nicely unzipped then installed some software, run repair permissions. {Edit:yea, I see you've done that.]

Let us hear how it gets solved!

8. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

9. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

Even after doing a clean install of OS X, this 'stuffit bounces forever' prob still occurs. Odd.

10. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

I had the same problem,disabling version check did the trick, its fine now thanx :)

and wowser just double click on stuffit expander let it bounce for a while than it will stop and than it will laucnh than go tot preferences disable version check it will be fine ;)

11. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

The worrying thing is that when it stops bouncing and i click on it, it doesn't display a contextual menu in the menu bar - that is, clicking on it does nothing. When i hold down click on it, it gives the option for Forced Quid, rather than just 'Quit' which worries me. Perhaps I will be able to select preferences once their web site is working again?

EDit: After even more waiting, it finally threw up the menu. I disabled the version checking and it works perfectly now. Thanks a lot guys! :p

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've been having the same problem, so I'll disable version checking too and hopefully that'll fix it here too :)

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Hopefully I am not hijacking this thread with this question:

What about failures to expand SITX files. I had to get a separate program since Stuffit did not like certain RAR files.

14. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Ha! Funny! I started to have the bouncing problem yesterday without any reason! Will disable version check to see if it helps... I hate Stuffit...

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Weird, me and Chaszmyr just had the same thing! He's on v8, and I'm on 9.0.1. EVENTUALLY in both caes Stuffit finally kicked in :confused:

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I was wondering about this when Stuffit started misbehaving yesterday, wondering if I had to perform the long overdue annual clean install. But since disableing helped I can push that even further. :p

If you manually try Help -> Check for Updates the browser tries to access a page on www.producturlsupport.com without finding anything, and times out after a while...

17. angelneo macrumors 68000

I have the same problem with stuffit today as well! What's happening to stuffit?

18. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Check to see if version checking is turned on, and if so, turn it off for now. The Allume web site support area is somewhat troubled at the moment and Stuffit may be repeatedly checking for that update, never connecting, and slowing its real work.

And I thought everyone read every posting. :p