Stuffit quitting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScotRobson, Oct 17, 2004.

1. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Hi

HAve just got my new Mac and trying to install some software for the first time. I have downloaded two different programmes and when they try to open Stuffit quits everytime.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks
    Scot

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Which version of Stuffit are you using? What type of file are you trying to unstuff? What error message do you get, and at what stage?

3. andysmith macrumors 6502

Do you get an 'Application Has Unexpectedly Quit' message? Or does the diaglog just go away - which is the normal behaviour.

4. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

The all Unexpectedly Quit even if i just try to open them on their own. Meaning DropTar DropStuff etc aswell - so I dont think it can have anything to do with the type of files im opening. Version 8.0.2 just what came with my new G5 iMac

Scot

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Have you tried stuffing/unstuffing something else?

Stuff a small file of your own & unstuff it: does that work?

If so, then it's those files that you're downloading...

And, you could always download the trial version of ver 9 from here.

http://www.stuffit.com/mac/index.html

Install & use these instead.
    Even though they're trial, they still work OK -- they just nag you to purchase.

6. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah tried that no files will unstuff and the stuffit will not even open on its own.

I'd rather not download the trial ones to be honest - the version I have should work!

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't worry about 'should', sometimes you've just got to do what works.

I think the ones that come with your Mac are trial ones anyway, they're exactly the same. 30 days use before the nag dialog starts... It's not a prob.

To avoid the nag, I just leave it running all the time (it's OS X!) and hidden in the dock.

However, you should be able to reinstall it from the disks that came with your iMac.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You should also try repairing permissions too.

Often that can iron these things out.

9. Gee macrumors 65816

I'd just bin it and reinstall. On the stuffit support page, it says something about checking that the version of the stuffitengineshell.cfm file in library/CFMsupport on your hard disk - should be version 8, not version 7, but if it's a new computer that shouldn't be an issue.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The Stuffit preferences might also be messed up. Navigate to ~/Library/Preferences and delete/move anything starting with com.stuffit. ~ is your user folder.