Stumped in 9.1

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Cursor, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Hopefully you guys can help me out. I am trying to upgrade to 9.1 from 9.0.4 at work. Everything works OK until I try to print. I either get a type -29 error trying to print a window, or if I try to print from a program like illustrator, nothing happens at all (no print window comes up). I'm using a PowerMac G4 400 MH (Gray) computer. I only have system fonts installed. It has the latest firmware. I also use Suitcase 9 on that computer, if it matters. it has a 60 MB hard drive, and over 350 MB of RAM. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone now how to fix it? So far the same problem has happened to the other 2 computers in my Art Department, and I had to re-intall 9.0.4. Any help is appreciated.

2. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

When I upgraded my PowerMac 6500 I lost printing functionality. It really sucks but I don't think you can do anything except for revert to 9.0.4 if you want to print.

:(

I upgraded a few months ago though, so problem solved.

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Can't you then just upgrade to 9.2?

irmongoose

4. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I don't know about him....but I'm guessing that this'll be true since that machine is older then the 6500 I was using...

wouldn't let me put 9.2 on it.....it fought 9.1

5. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

No, if I upgrade to 9.2, the problem just carries over. I have to be able to upgrade to 9.2. An upgrade just doesn't work. There has to be a fix, doesn't there? By the way, my computer is a gray G4 400Mhz. I forgot that important piece of information. I'll take any help anyone can give. Thanks.

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Have you tried it? If you have, did you upgrade to the latest 9.2.2 release? I'm assuming that Apple would have included any fix for a problem in 9.1 in 9.2...

irmongoose

7. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Yeah, I've tried it. No help. Basically I'm trying to save myself from calling my tech guy who charges $60 an hour.

8. Screamingbeaver macrumors member

Suitcase is the prob....

Hey Cursor,

This happened to me on several machines at my employer. Try this.... The deal is in the extensions. Go in and disable the Suitcase Menufonts Extension. I think this was the deal. It was quite a while ago. I actually found on a message board (it could've been this one) that if you rename the extention file, it works. I can't remember exactly what it was supposed to be. If you are still havin' trouble this afternoon, I can email you the extension once I get to work.

Let me know if you are still havin' trouble, or if you tweaked it to work.

'Beaver

9. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

That would be great if you could tell me what you renamed it. IT WORKED!!! But I still need the MenuFonts Control Panel. Can you let me know what you named it? Or should I re-install Suitcase after I upgrade to 9.1? Thanks for all your help!

10. Screamingbeaver macrumors member

Suitcase prob...

Hey Cursor...Now it has been a while, so I think this is what you had to do...

I'm thinkin' that it might have been the control panel that was renamed.

The file name of the Suitcase MenuFonts contol panel is this

"~ Suitcase 9 MenuFonts™"

Try deleting the space after the tilde so it reads

"~Suitcase 9 MenuFonts™"

Then enable the extestion and control panel again. You may wanna restart just to be safe.

Let me know what happens. Good Luck!

Chris

11. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

It worked! Actually, it is the other way around-you need to ADD a space between the ~ and Suitcase. But anyway it worked. I'll do it to the rest of my G4's. Thanks for saving me a lot of $$. People like you are what make MacRumors a top Mac Forum.

12. Screamingbeaver macrumors member

Cool!

No sweat! Geeks helping Geeks. That's what we are all about. I'm glad you are up n' runnin'.

'Beaver