Stundent: PB15in OR PM Dual2GHZ

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Omey, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Omey macrumors newbie

This is more a question on if I should go wireless or wired.

I am starting college in september, and am still undecieded; should I go PB or PM?

I am willing to spend about 2,500 on something, maybe all the way up to 3,000. But anything above 2000 comes from my own money, and well I would like to save it.

I know that I am going to have this computer for the four years I am in college, so I am thinking that the PM is the best idea, with a LCD. The only problem is, is that I can not take it with me everywhere, and I will have to spend more on an LCD (any recomendations?) and ram and stuff.

The PB will cost less overall because I won't have to buy a LCD, but I will not have the power of the PM.

Power or Portability?

Summerized; Should I:
    1) Go for power and get the PM Dual 2ghz and an LCD and have it cost me more, and lose out in portability and have it last awhile longer.
    Or
    2) Go for portabilty have it cost me less, but lose out in a couple years because its still just a g4.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you aren't worried about theft, go for portability. Whatever you buy will be "old" four years from now. Given that, unless you need to power of the PM - which is noticeably faster than the PB, period, on everything - get the PB. You can carry it anywhere, use it in class, etc.

Note, though, that you could get an iBook for ~$1K with the student discount. That would do 95% of the stuff the PB would do, leaving you $1K-$2K to spend on an eMac, an iMac, or a low-end PB and a cheap CRT. Just a thought. And you could buy the 2nd Mac later on, once the iBook wasn't enough.

3. Omey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, but why would I need two comptuers? Room is an issue, as I will be in a dorm first year.
    Now that I take a second look at the 1.5in PB, it sure looks inviting, it could do just about everything the PM could do.
    I don't need it for much, I was just thinking down the line. I am majoring in computer engieneering, so I would be using apps like CAD and compiling things.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I just thought that having the two systems would allow you to play around more.

However, the 15" PB is truly sweet, and I'm sure you'd love it. Get a good backpack/carrier, though. You want to keep it as pristine as possible, I'm sure.

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I would go for the powerbook, and max it out in every way. I love mine, it's really nice to be able to take it with me, and a lot of colleges have wireless access around campus now. Don't get 2 computers. Plus, either way, in 2-4 years, you're going to want a new computer. You can't stop that, either way. If I were you right now, I'd get:

-Powerbook 1.5, 15" screen, backlit keyboard, 128mb ram, 5400rpm hard drive, 1GB RAM
    -Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
    -iPod 30GB (it's slimmer than the 40)

Have fun!
    Lee Tom

6. Omey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes! exactly what I was thinking. Now should I get the 1.5Ghz or the 1.33Ghz for about 145 less with the same specs (5400rpm, 1GB, both Combo) I could get the 1.33, 1.5" But it only has 64mb gfx mem. Does that and the 200MHZ matter much? or should I just put down the 145 more... 145 is not that much for 64mb more gfx ram and 200mhz now that I think about it.

7. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Get the 1.5GHz.. it has the backlit keyboard, and it's great. You won't regret not skimping now.

Lee Tom

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Note that you also get the backlit keyboard. Might not be worth $145 to you, but, taking notes in a darkened lecture hall, it might come in handy. The 200MHz won't be that obvious, though.

9. Anticipat3 macrumors regular

Bleh, the backlit keyboard is glitz-only unless you can't touch type. Besides that, there's a huge bright screen that lights up the keys anyway! I wasn't at all impressed with the backlit keyboard on the 17" PB that I tried.

10. Omey thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry guys, that price was with the backlight keyboard build to order option.

I think I am going to go with the 1.5" 1.5 with a gig of ram, 5400, and a combo drive.

Thank you guys for all your help. Mac users are all so helpful, I love having a mac.

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

since nobody else said it in this thread yet, I'd like to advise you to buy your RAM somewhere other than Apple. from Apple, order the 1x512MB RAM option, and then from somewhere else (check ramseeker.com and crucial.com) get the second 512MB module.

if you plan to max out your PB to 2GB of RAM, well each 1GB stick will cost about $300.

the 15" PB is a great choice. if it were my money I'd get a new dual 1.8 G5 , a 19" or 21" CRT and a used iBook. laptops disappear on campuses all the time and I'd prefer to limit my exposure. you could also insure your computers with Safeware.com.

new dual 1.8 G5: $1799+tax (student discount)
    2x256MB more RAM, for a total of 1GB: ~$90
    used or refurbished iBook G4: $779
    (with money left over for iBook RAM, decent laptop case, two-button/scroll wheel mouse.)

12. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Isn't the 5400rpm a built to order option as well? DON'T JUST GET A 4200RPM DRIVE BECAUSE YOU CAN'T WAIT! trust me, i regret it. and the backlit keyboard is great! take it from someone that uses his powerbook in the dark a lot. If you can get everything besides the backlit keyboard right away, go for it... but if you're going to have to order it anyway, get the backlit keyboard too.

And yeah, you'll save money by getting your RAM upgrades through Crucial:
    http://www.crucial.com

Lee Tom

13. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

12" + 20" display

If you are in school and lugging around a laptop all day you are going to want the 12". I swear by it. For the dorm you can plug the nice big display and run it in clamshell mode with a BT keyboard and mouse. Thats the way i would go. Best of both worlds if you ask me :)