Stunning Photo of Glass Staircase at Amsterdam Retail Store

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 29, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Thomas Schlijper posts a stunning photo of the glass staircase at Apple's new Amsterdam retail store in the historic Hirsch building. The store, which opens to the public this Saturday, is Apple's first in the Netherlands.

[​IMG]

Previously-revealed floor plans for the location show a large two-level store with a massive 20-seat Genius Bar extending along one wall of the first floor. In the weeks leading up to the opening, Apple has been concealing the store's interior with striking orange window coverings.

Article Link: Stunning Photo of Glass Staircase at Amsterdam Retail Store

2. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

Send me to Holland.

3. macrumors regular

It's nice to see such sensitive architecture in such a beautiful building.

4. macrumors member

That store looks amazing! As an aspiring architect this is the type of inspiring, beautiful building I want to create. Wow!

5. macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I dunno, I admire the technology and engineering required to create stairs like this, but I also find it pretty gaudy.

In terms of safety, longevity, and maintenance, glass is really not a good material for things that people walk on or constantly stay in close proximity to.

6. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

The overseas stores are making the state-side stores look like dumps.

7. macrumors regular

Yup...applying for this store haha :p

Great looking store! I can't wait to see photos of this 20 seat Genius Bar...

8. Guest

The photographer must have breached some contract. Though it is good to know that Apple hires locals photographers on these assignments.

9. macrumors regular

I'd like to know the basis for your research or data on glass, this specific glass if you have it, that confirms it is not good for "safety, longevity and maintenance" and even more, "things people walk on or constantly stay in close proximity to." Have you actually read background on the development of this glass? It was published some time ago.
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion on the webs., like "it's gaudy"...just like sitting around a bar and having beers and everybody spouts their likes and dislikes...but the glass info? improving that?

10. macrumors 68040

And yet all key retail decisions are being made by Apple Corporate.

Curious.

:) :p :D

11. macrumors regular

What are you basing this observation on, the panes of glass in your house, the windshield in your car? Modern architectural glass couldn't be more different.

12. macrumors newbie

I personally would love to know the cost of just that staircase. As someone who cleans glass all day, every day, I couldn't find a more beautiful thing, but at what cost!

13. macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I imagine everyone using those stairs will be wearing pants?

14. macrumors member

Or very confident.

15. macrumors G4

Chundles

So is the Genius Bar on the First Floor or the Ground Floor?

16. macrumors 6502

jeznav

From what I can see, the glass central cylinder column for the base support and and the outer panes is held by the several spiraling 2" thick glass stairs. It seems to support itself and gives an illusion of whats holding it together without falling.

I'm still marvelled on the level of engineering to create these glass staircases.

17. macrumors 6502

Very nice. The things you can do when your're worth half a trillion dollars

18. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Soooo....beautiful!

19. macrumors 6502

KingJosh

and this is what the Apple haters just don't get. Apple put effort into their **** :p

20. macrumors regular

chatfan

So true, Steve used to approve the shape of your **** before you where allowed to flush?!?!

21. macrumors newbie

ThomasSchlijper

Actually: Apple didn't hire me. Worse: Apple refused to host me at the press opening, for unknown reasons. Happily they uncovered the windows the day before the opening, that's how I could make this shot :)

22. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I really appreciate the effort Apple put in to everything they do. Just walking into the Oxford Street store in London takes your breath away.

This Dutch store looks amazing.

23. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Nice photo. Maybe Apple will take you more seriously now and get you at all openings :)

24. macrumors regular

BobbyRond

25. macrumors member

iSolidus

That's one gorgeous staircase. Dare I say, Stairway to Heaven?