Stupid AIM speak.

Discussion in 'Community' started by thejazzman10, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejazzman10 Guest

What the heck is with all this stupid AIM speak?

for example, people say "omg, we went 2 the movie theatur 2day! it was gr8! LOL!!!!!!! OMg, and it totally suked, in a koo way tho. OMG!!! it wuz still fun, and i got a new presnt from snta! OMG! thnx!"

It pisses me off. What has become of writing "to" instead of 2? is it THAT hard to press one button? I am dissapointed in the "AIM generation"; they are putting a steriotype for all other people who are smart enough to think about how to spell out words.

That is why I always end up here, at macrumors, where people are SMART.

anyone else agree? I am 14, and I have convinced many of my friends to stop-I don't know why this only bothers me, but I think that AIM speak needs to die.

edit:stupid cookies. I meant to post this from my other handle..

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As long as they don't speak 'haX0r' I'm ok. I personally try to use proper grammer and spelling in forums, but in chats where time is a factor I will use abbreviations.

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    1337 speak is for slow typists.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I just wanted to point out a bit of irony. :) (I swear I'm not trying to be mean...no offense intended.)

I do agree with you for the most part though. I spell everything out, and don't ever use the IM abbreviations. I do, however, think that it is very interesting to look at this from a language perspective and contemplate whether or not this is language evolving or "devolving." There have been a couple threads that discuss this evolution.

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Its dumb, but its not like its going to ruin the world or anything. When people rail against this stuff, they think its happens because the kids of dumb and are going to grow up to be completely unable to write properly. This isn't really true of course. Most of these kids can write as well as any other kid (which may not be saying a whole lot in the U.S., but still).

I just look at it as something kids do. Kids inprevious generations used to try to come up with their own languages that only a small circle knew. Some got really good at pig latin (ever see the movie slums of beverly hills, kinda like that). kids came up with words like "cool" in the 50's and it drove their parents nuts. this really isn't that different. One might argue that its a fairly inventive way to save characters which is useful for things like text messaging, and its actually representative of real words, not just making up random new ones like kids and entertainers always do (and continue to do today)

So while I would probably refuse to talk to anyone who actually wrote like that to me (I'd make them rewrite it, or its not worth my time to try and learn their special language). its all a matter of context. if they are just writing to their group of friends and its kind of like a secret language for them or a tool for feeling like part of their group, there's no problem. When they try to write a paper for school like that its a problem. But I bet none of them do.

My parents didn't understand half of what I said either (and its not like I'm old, I'm only 27).

I'd also add some of it's really useful (in moderation of course). Common phrases are infinitely easier to type and faster to read in a conversational setting. hth, imho, brb, things like that. I know its not the same exactly, but there is some basis in functionality here.

To each their own. The US may go into the crapper but it won't be because of silly ways to type on IM. They'll out grow it. Just as you'll outgrow some of the ways you and your friends interact together.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Having written both ways, I've found that I grew out of "AOL IM'-speak in about 7th grade.
    Now, it's so much easier to type everything... I don't have to switch from 1337 to english to write a paper, I don't have to remember to include numbers to replace letters (hehe) and it's easier on the eyes of myself and the person receiving the IMs.

While I can still (sort of.. barely... not at all) read it, whenever I get an instant message from someone who types like that, I just keep going on in normal english, in hopes of swaying them to resume their normal language.

Sorry, it's just kind of hard to look smart when you're typing "omgzzorz, 1 jus 2tallie w0n da iPoD s0ngz giv34w4y! O-M-G. i m g0nn4 m33t c0ldpl4y!"
    (wow, that took entirely too long to type!)

Presently, when I am IMing someone, I let capitalization slide sometimes. I usually try to catch it, but if my pinkie that hits enter is faster than my index finger, to go fix the problem, then it's no big deal, since it's only AOL. With the built-in spell check in 10.4 is HARD to not type correctly.
    OK, it's not hard, but it's a whole lot easier to type correctly.

jest mai 2 c3n7z. :)
    (just my two cents.) <-- translation

7. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Couldn't have said it better myself, that pretty much hit the nail in the head.

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

He also misspelled "disappointed", but I'm not going to be the one to point that out.

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Which came first, Prince-speak or AIM-speak?

P.S. If you are too young to know who Prince is, please don't make us oldsters feel bad by asking "Prince who?"

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Ditto for me. I usually make sure I get it correct when posting on forums and other places where its not important to react and write quickly. But I'm guilty of using words like IIRC and AFAIK quite often. A habit, I guess.

I try to get it right with IM too, but I might start to use abbrivations if I, or the other person, is in a hurry.
    Used to be the same for the same for IRC too, and I often try to make words and sentences as short as possible, since the tempo can be pretty high. (Haven't been using IRC much lately, though..)

11. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

12. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I love prince!!

*singing to self*
    She wore a raspberry beret... the kind you find in a second hand store... :D

..I just don't know what "Prince-speak" is.
    enlighten? Please?

13. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Now, I understand where you're coming from concerning such AIM speak. However, chatting on AIM is not the same as writing an essay. Casually speaking to a friend is not the same as giving a diplomatic speech. Certain situations in life call for formality, and quite simply, other situations call for a lack of formality.

Anyways, I'm sure people don't have problems switching from AIM speak to essay speak when it comes to writing an essay. If you do find such a person, I'm sure even casual conversavation would be too dim-witted for you.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd say that, considering the misuse of words (then, than) and the misuse of punctuation (it's, its) and the improper spelling of various words, that more people should use abbreviated text whether 1337-speak or something else.

It's either that or take a class in English and stay awake. :eek:

15. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

It doesn't really bother me when people use "2day" or "u," but I'm really annoyed by GAy FruiTTY TyPIng Liek Dis.
    Most of the people I IM regularly, don't bother with any of that, so it's all good. I can't be bothered with capitalization and end punctuation over AIM--that's reserved for real writing and, of course, forums.

We need to do something about the "lol" revolution! That seems to be affecting more people :rolleyes: I mean, how often is the person actually laughing out loud? meh... perhaps I should just get over it

reality

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I'll agree with you up to a point. As a recent college graduate, I was, and still am greatly disturbed by the number of people I knew, particularly in my field of study, that have trouble writing properly. Misspellings and misuse of homonymns are what stick out at me the most. If you're still in the seventh grade and learning grammar that's one thing, but these are college upperclassmen that still can't get it right. I wouldn't necessarily expect an engineer or a mathematician to be perfect, as they have other things to worry about, but my degree is in English and Creative Writing.

All bad habits will persist and worsen unless corrected.

17. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

It drives me nuts.

One of my friends once called it "newbie internet jargon." I thought that was pretty funny. :D

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Reminds me a lot of B1FF

Maybe I should start like piping everything through valspeak or bork.

19. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

It is a problem. It's on my list along with people using unique spellings of traditional names for their children and modern music lacking proper subject verb agreement. If we're not careful, we will end up coming across as an illiterate nation of teens/preteens who never learned to write in complete sentences. OMG! That would like totally suck man.

Here are a couple of my pet peeves:

1. The use of the words "like", "you know" and "I mean" rather than the traditional "said" and other more colorful word choices. Here is an example: I mean, He was like and I was like and then she was like, you know?

2. Using was when were is appropriate and vice versa. This has become commonplace in music and is almost undetectable thanks to decades of misuse. I don't think it would violate artistic freedom to bring this to a musician's attention.

My wife and I are expecting twins any day now and when people ask what their names will be, we respond Madeline and Isabella. The next question is generally, "How will you spell them?" How will we spell them? Just as they're supposed to be spelled, that's how. How about Madalyn and Izabeluh? Outrageous! Why do people want to invent new spellings for traditional names?

I could go on but I think you get the picture. I recently graduated from law school and was amazed to read some of my peer's work when we exchanged briefs for oral arguments. Don't get me started on briefs submitted by actual attorneys. Most are great and are a true testament to the profession. Others were rather incomprehensible. It starts at an early age and, if it goes uncorrected because people think it is "evolution", it continues into adulthood. I don't think it's evolution. I think it's an absolute shame.

20. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

I was thinking that if I have another son I would name him Marq. Partially because I got tired of answering c or k.

21. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

AIM speak makes me angry. I hate how people can have such lack of respect for their language to bastardize it so much. I've had many English teachers say that they have seen many papers with AIM speak and it bothers them beyond belief. AIM speak and TXT speak are the two major factors that are bringing down the intelligence and maturity of the next generation along with the death of grammar, punctuation, and language overall.

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Haha, when I was a seventh grader, not everyone had the internet at home yet, much less AOL to IM! :eek:

I definitely fall into this category. However, we have to remember that "English" is an evolutionary language, it will change. Just as "muggle" has been added to the Oxford. There are uses and phrases that have changed, some within our lifetimes (I bet), and in fact, linguists have already conducted studies regarding the use and pronunciation of the infamous, "like."

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Look at almost any Prince or TAFKAP album and read the song titles, or the lyrics."I would Die 4 U" is a perfect example of Prince-speak.

I find AIM speak irritating, but I figure (= hope) my kids will drop it as they mature. What is more worrisome to me is the horrible spelling tendencies my daughter has developed from text messaging her friends all the time. If it weren't for spell checkers...

24. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Yeah, I hate l33t speak. I have an entry on my blog about it here.

25. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

You know, use of 'u' and '2day' and similar things, like, actually annoy me little bit, I don't know why, lol, but I bite my tongue, you know, and let it slide. lol. thnxbye.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.